Why?

I was by the giant window when I saw the trio enter the main control room.

SHIELD agents were rushing about making sure that we were stabilised.

Maria had informed Fury,
"Then lets disappear" and the reflector panels were engaged.

Turning around I saw a baffled Steve who held ten bucks out to Fury.

Probably a bet or something.

He then strode towards me, stopping at the window.

"It's impressive, isn't it?" He questioned without looking at me.

Steve's POV
(Y/n) has changed, she used to be a lot more calm, even at the time of war.

But she just said she was used to it, having lived through the first Great War.

"You get used to it after a while, plus I've seen better technology" she shrugged staring out the window.

The sun reflected off her perfectly, but almost like it didn't want to touch her?

'I can understand why Buck fell for her'

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I asked after a while.

She turned to me with a half smile on her face, it made me uncomfortable.

"I guess" she answered, gesturing me to speak. Showing that I had her attention.

"Why?" By the look on her face she didn't understand.

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair.
"Why didn't you try to find me? you knew that I was found in the ice"

(Y/n) shifted uncomfortably and turned her gaze to the outside once again.

"...I couldn't" she answered, if I didn't have the serum to enhance my senses I wouldn't have heard her. But nonetheless, her answer hurt me.

"Why not?" I scoffed, she let out a shaky sigh, but I continued, "You didn't think of how I must of felt, how scared and alone I was, the feeling that I don't belong, but you wouldn't understand would you!?" Looking closer I could see a single tear roll down her cheek, and I knew I had pushed to far.

Throwing my arms around her, I pulled her into a hug, and sighed in relief when she hugged back.

"I'm so sorry Steve" she whispered, "I'm so sorry, but I couldn't, it hurt to much" she whimpered.

"What do you mean?" I pulled away from the hug, but still held on to her.

"It wasn't fair" she stayed as she gently whipped the tears from her face, "it wasn't fair that only you came back, all those people who died, innocent people, men who had fallen and weren't caught..." the last statement I knew was about Bucky, a memory flashed in my mind, the day he fell, my world ended.

"It hurt that only you came back, I'm not saying I'm not happy, cause I really am" she gave a watery smile, in which I returned, feeling tears well in my eyes.

"Now you're back, I have something to show you!" She chuckled and reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone.

"(Y/n)" I chuckled pointing at the phone, "I already know what that is" she laughed and shook her head.

"It's not the phone" she removed the case and pulled out a small picture.

She handed it to me.

"Who's this? She's adorable" I smiled, studying the picture of the small girl.

"That's my daughter and your goddaughter" she grinned.

I was lost for words, she made me godfather to her daughter?

"I know you were gone, but there wasn't anyone else I wanted to be godfather" I looked up at her confused.

"Why not Bucky?"

Her grin slowly disappeared, and a small smile graced her lips.

"The thing is Steve, her name is Ava (Y/l/n) Barnes"