CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Rose

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Rose groaned loudly, flinging the covers over her head to try and drown out the noise. To her absolute relief, the noise stopped. She mentally flipped the bird to whoever thought it was appropriate to call so early in the morning, She was about to fall back asleep, until...

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

Cursing under her breath, Rose sat up in bed quickly, letting the covers fall back off of her. Grabbing her phone from the nightstand she didn't even bother to look at the screen. Only one person would call at—Rose glanced at the clock, rolling her eyes—8:17 in the morning on Thanksgiving Day.

"What?" She barked into the line.

"Before you bite my head off, please realize this is an emergency." Miras anxious voice was enough to shake Rose from her grumpy early morning attitude.

"What's wrong?" Rose groaned, flopping back down on her bed. It felt so warm and inviting that she almost dozed right back to sleep, until Mira spoke.

"I know I promised a small holiday dinner, but plans have changed. My mother is coming."

Roses body jerked upright so fast she was pretty sure she gave herself whiplash. "Your mother, the one who lives in Vienna, is coming to our Thanksgiving dinner?" The mother of the man I'm daydreaming about is going to be in the same room as her son and I?

"It gets worse."

Rose groaned. How could this possibly get any worse?

"I haven't been a hundred percent honest with you." Miras words sent a jolt of fear down Roses spine.

"Damn it, Mira, spit it out." Rose hissed.

"My mother doesn't live in Vienna. We just have a vacation house there. She lives in the Daemon Manor in Greece."

If Miras words were supposed to mean anything to Rose, she wasn't sure. She had never heard of a Daemon Manor before in her life, and how this was bad news was a big question mark over Roses head.

Mira must have sensed Roses confusion, and Rose heard her sigh into the phone. "Look, I was going to explain all of this to you eventually, but I'll brief you now. The Guardian race is run by a monarchy system. My mother is the queen of the Daemon race, and she's going to be at our dinner table tonight."

~ ~ ~

To say Rose couldn't get to Miras house quick enough was an understatement. She showered at record speed, blow drying her hair and curling a few large strands to make it look like she at least put some effort into her appearance. Ripping through the clothes in her closet she desperately searched for an outfit. What does one wear to a thanksgiving dinner with a queen? After searching for what felt like hours, Rose decided on a knee length burgundy dress with a brown belt around the waist. Paired with brown ankle boots, a long gold chain and some burgundy earrings, Rose was quite impressed with herself.

Grabbing her keys, she jumped in her little car and sped to Miras mansion, her heart pounding in her chest. When she reached the tall black gates she punched in the code, tapping her hands against the steering wheel as the gates slowly groaned open. Slamming her foot on the gas she raced down the driveway, coming to a park behind...

A shiny black town car that Rose had never seen before.

Gulp.

Mama Nikolaidis was in the building.