Chapter 3: The Choosing Ceremony

I woke up and immediatly remembered that today was the day where I would choose my future.

I went over to my closet, picking out the basic blue atire.

My mom walked into the room right when I was about to brush my hair.

She took the brush out of my hand and motioned for me to sit on the stool. Once I took a seat, she started to brush out my hair.

I decided to leave it down for the choosing ceremony.

After I was all ready, we got in the car and drove to the Hub. (Sears Towers.)

Since my mom was the Erudite faction leader, she represented our faction by saying a speech in the choosing ceremony.

Once the choosing ceremony started, my mom went up to the stage and gave her speech.

"The faction system is living being, composed of cells, all of you. And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place. The future belongs to those who know where they belong."

Marcus Eaton, abnegation faction leader then gave another speech. He finished his speech.

"Faction before blood." he said

"Faction before blood." everyone repeated

He started to call people up by alphabetical order. The 16 year olds cut their hand and spill a drop of their blood onto a symbolic item.

"Sophia Gardner." he said

She walked up to the 5 bowls representing each faction. She cut her hand and groaned in pain. She held her hand over the Abnegation bowl and spilt a drop of blood onto the grey stones.

As it was getting closer and closer to my last name, I was getting more and more anxious.

"Chloe Matthews" he said

I quietly got up from my seat and walked slowly down towards the bowls. I picked up the knife and made a small cut in my hand. I put the knife down and held my hand close to my body.

"Erudite" Marcus said

I chose to stay in Erudite. I walked back towards the seat I sat in before while all the members of Erudite were clapping. I spotted the council members out of the corner of my eye. They all wore big smiles and smirked at each other. Since my mom was the head of the council, they thought that I was equally as smart.

Once the ceremony was done, I watched as all the Dauntless members leave, screaming and running out the doors to head to the trains.

My whole faction got up and exited together. My mom had to stay a little longer to talk to the other faction leaders.

We all went to together to Erudite. We got a basic tour and met our instructors. We were presented with our first assignment and told we would start the next day. After, I started to walk home at the end of the day. The initiates that we're Erudite-born got to stay with their families for one more night before living with the other initiates at the compound.

Once I got home, I unlocked the door and walked up to my room. I plopped down on my bed staring up at the ceiling wondering if I had chosen the right faction. I would have to stay in Erudite for the rest of my life.

I could have choosen to leave but instead I decided to stay within my comfort zone and choose the way I was raised, by knowledge.

After what seemed like 2 hours, I finally heard the door shut. My mom was home. We lived in a big house because my mom was the faction leader. I heard her sharp heels hit the stairs everytime she walked up a stair.

I heard a knock at my door. My mother entered the room and came and sat on my bed.

"So you chose to stay." she says

"I don't know if I made the right decision. I mean is this really what's best for my future."

My mother sighed.

"I absolutely think you picked the right faction. I mean it is the result you got on your Aptitude Test." she says

"That's true, but I just feel like there's so much more out there."

"The world is sometimes a cruel place. It was a smart thing to do to stay within the places that you know." states my mother

"Ok thanks."

"Anytime sweetie. Maybe now you can take my place as the faction leader after me." she says

After saying that, she left and closed the door behind her.

My mother had made it seem as if she had my whole future planned out. But I wasn't sure if it was the right one.

I decided to get ready for bed because it was getting late.

I changed into my pyjama's, blue of course and I brushed my teeth, washed my face and got into bed. Tomorrow was the first day of initiation training.

I gently closed my eyes and fell asleep.