Chapter 23: Anything but perfect

Once I wake up, I get dressed and fix my hair. After I'm done I go downstairs and make myself some breakfast. I see that my mother isn't awake yet because she wasn't in the kitchen. I got up a lot earlier than usual for some reason. I made myself some eggs and bacon. After I had finished making my breakfast, I sat down and ate. After I was done, I cleaned up my mess and went back upstairs. It was unusual that my mother wasn't up by now. I decided to go check on her.

When I got to her room, I quietly and slowly opened up her door. She was still in bed. I decided to just go and get ready. I went back to my room and went straight to my bathroom. I proceeded to brush my teeth and put on some makeup. After I was done, I went downstairs. I walked around to the living room and sat down on the couch with a book. Just as I started to get into my book, the computer from my mothers office beeped. Being me, I decided to sneak into her office and see what it was. I made sure I was quiet while going into her office. I walked around to the computer and made sure she wasn't coming. I poked around her computer until I saw some files labeled "SECRET". I immediately clicked on the file and a whole bunch of information popped up on the screen. I read the whole file and was shocked at what was written. Just then, I heard my mothers door open upstairs. I quickly closed the file and turned off the computer. Then I quickly slipped out of the office, closed the door and went into the living room. I picked up the book that I had to make it seem as if I had just been reading.

Moment later, my mother walked downstairs. She was all dressed and she had finished getting ready.

"Good Morning." I say

"Morning." she says with a little smile

I sit quietly and try to seem as innocent as possible. I couldn't have her find out that I had just seen her plans. It was horrible.

"How long have you been up for?" she asks

"Um... about an hour." I say

"What did you do?" she asks

"Just made some breakfast and finished getting ready." I say

"Alright." she says

Then she walks into the kitchen and makes herself a cup of coffee. I pull out my phone and stick my headphones into my phone. My mother walks by me with her cup of coffee and into her office. I get more and more nervous. I run upstairs and close the door behind me. I walk over and sit on my bed. I pull out my phone and start texting Caleb.

Chloe: hey!

Caleb: hey babe! miss you <3

Chloe: miss you too! <3 meet me @ the library at our spot?

Caleb: ill be there!

Chloe: see you then!! <3

Caleb: bye <3

Just then my mother barges into my room. She never barges in unless she mad at me.

"I'm sorry." I say with a nervous expression on my face

"I've been calling you for the past 2 minutes. Alexander has been waiting for 5 minutes." she says

"Oh sorry... I didn't hear you." I say while getting up from my bed.

We walk downstairs and outside to the car.

"You'll have to forgive us for the wait." my mother says politely

"It alright." he says while opening the doors for us

We drive to the compound. Once we get to the compound, my mother thanks Alexander and we walk inside. I start walking towards the stairs while my mother walks to the group of Erudite waiting for her.

I walk to the library and meet Caleb.

He doesn't see me so I decide to scare him from behind. I walk slowly and quietly towards him and wrap my arms around the back of him. He jumps back in shock. I let go of him and he turns around to face me.

"OMG, you scared me." he says

"I mean't to!" I say while smiling and giving him a kiss.

"What's going on?" he asks

I decide to explain to Caleb what I found on my mothers computer. After I finished telling him, we walk to lunch together. Once we have gotten our lunch, we sit down at a table together and Caleb talks to me about the problem. After having a long discussion about it, he finally thinks of a solution to solve the problem. Caleb takes me on a walk in the park after we work for a little bit. At the end of the day, Caleb walks me to the lobby and says goodbye. He gives me a kiss on the lips before leaving. I didn't even realize that my mother was watching us the whole time with the group of Erudite scientists. I feel really embarrassed. I walk over towards her and she says goodbye to the Erudite scientists before we go outside to the car.

We drive home and my mother goes to make dinner while I go into living room to study for a project I have to do. She calls me for dinner and we sit down at the table.

"So what's going on between you and that Prior boy?" she asks

"Oh, nothing really." I say

"I saw you guys kissing." she says

"Ok. Were dating." I say

She gives a little smile.

"Just make sure you make smart decisions." she says

"I will." I say

We finish our dinner and I help clean up. After I'm done cleaning up, I walk up to my room and close the door. I walk over to my desk and open by books. I continue researching for my project. After I'm finished studying, I get ready for bed and go to say goodnight to my mother. I then go back upstairs and get into bed. Minutes later, I fall asleep.