Chapter 15

K A I

DAY 10

We lay in Cinder's bed with her head on my shoulder and our arms wrapped around each other. I have only been able to be with her for these last ten days, but it feels like a lifetime that I've known her. The real her, anyways.

I listen to Cinder as she tells me about what Winter told her. I'm shocked to hear that her father is alive. Stars, that puts a lot of pressure on me now. But it's no more pressure than ending this war that Levana started.

"Kai, this changes so much. I do have some of my family that is alive. And it's my father... But he knew that I was alive and where I was going, yet he did nothing. I was unconscious for eight years of my life and was tortured by Adri for the five that I can remember. Does he even truly care about me?" She asked.

This might offend her but I feel like it's the right response. "Cinder, I know that what I'm about to say will sound bad, but you're going to have to trust me." I pause before continuing. "Your father, I believe, left you and your mother in order to protect you. He had to have known that one day you would come back to him. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have left. When you were taken into custody after the ball, there was still a part of me that knew everything would turn out good in the end. I still felt like, even though I just found out your biggest secrets, that you would come back to me."

Cinder's face softens and she looks up at me as if I just said the most wonderful thing in the galaxy. Her brilliant brown eyes are sparkling. But then something changes inside her and she appears worried. "Kai, this isn't over yet. We still have to stop this war and the plague and make sure that Levana can't hurt or manipulate anyone ever again. How will we even--"

I cut her off by kissing her. Her lips are soft and gentle as they brush against mine. I hesitantly pull away and look into her eyes. "I don't know. But we're going to find your father and figure it out."

We continue the lay there in silence until Thorne bursts into the room. We jump upright and stare at him with questioning looks.

"Sorry to interrupt, well not really, but we have an emergency."

Cinder and I quickly get off of her bed, "What's happening?" I ask as we follow him down the hall and enter the cockpit.

Cress responds, "The security cameras we put up have been disabled. I have no idea if anyone is coming to kill us or if they just took them down because Lunars don't like people to know what they really look like. We need to get it of here, and quick!" Panic is evident in her voice as she taps away on the netscreens.

"Were they remotely dissabled or actually taken down?" Cinder asks.

"I thought they were too small to be seen?" Jacin questions.

Cress let's out an exasperated sigh. "Yes they are too small to be seen. They were remotely disabled. I still have the footage from the past 72 hours though."

They talk about where we are going to go next. I look out the window and see Lunar guards coming through the tunnels and surrounding our ship. I interrupt them, "We have company!" I yell.

Cinder, Thorne, Scarlet, Wolf, Jacin and Winter rush over to the window while Cress is still trying to turn the cameras back on.

Winter gasps.

"Well, we're dead," Thorne states.

_________________________________________________

Hello my beautiful Lunartics!

Long time no see. Yeah I'm sorry that I haven't written since April 30th... I know that this chapter is short and NOT worth the wait:( I reread this entire story today and realized how much it sucked... so when I get back home from my vacation I will be on a strict writing and editing schedule. AGAIN I AM SO SORRY! Thank you so very much for 5,235 reads. I feel like I don't deserve them :/

Keep reading,
PrincessSelene04