Chapter 3 : A Peaceful Walk

The raven-haired hellhound looked outside at the lush forest that stretched out before them, the green grass layered with a thin blanket of frost that made an uncomfortable shudder run up his spine at the sight, but he held his tongue and would not dare complain about something like this. All of this was worth going through to spend time with his mate, which would be more an entire month nonetheless without anyone to bother them. "Do you think there would be any firewood left over to use in the cabin?" Beck asked, drawing away the hybrid and his thoughts for the time being as the two of them suited up in warm clothes to aid them in their travels, "We might as well take advantage of the fireplace since while we're away, it is going to be shifting into the winter months. I am sadly not blessed with the power of fire to warm myself, you know." All that the taller male had said was correct, but to be honest, Henry did not even remember that they had a fireplace in their cabin - had they ever even had to use it? He didn't think so, considering that they had not gone through a winter in this land yet and he didn't feel very happy to be so close to experiencing it firsthand, but some things could not be avoided, of course. "There will probably be some lying around here and there," He mentioned as he wrapped a softened grey scarf around his neck, covering his mouth and nose in order to keep himself from feeling numb from the cold, "Don't worry though, I'll make it a priority of mine to gather some more when I head out tonight for hunting." Out of the corner of his olive green-hued gaze, he took note of how something in his words made Beck look at him in silence for a few seconds before answering him. "Oh. Alright, that sounds like a good plan." Beck said with a forced smile that was easily detected from the canine, he had seen it before, "I could get the firewood while you hunt though, I wouldn't want you to do all that work on your own." Something in the male's tone seemed rather dull to him, which made Henry wonder if he had maybe said something wrong. He had always gone out hunting by himself for a long time and his mate had known that, so what was the big deal? The canine-hybrid did not like the possible idea of Beck going out into the cold weather to get firewood though, disregarding his own well-being as he shook his head. "No, it's fine. I can handle it." He insisted, his tail swishing back and forth behind him as he gave a small sigh as he looked to the large double-doors of the mansion, "Shall we head out and try our best not to freeze our butts off now?" Henry had intentionally gone and changed the subject of the conversation in order to avoid any retort from Beck about the previous matter and the brown-haired male noticed but decided to not dwell on such things on the very start of their vacation, if that's what this could be called. "Yeah, before we waste any more time just standing around," Beck said with a gentle, rumbling purr that made the canine's face grow a little warmer than usual, but he simply nodded, pleased by the fact that his face was partially covered by the scarf around his neck right now or he would be even more flustered.

"Have fun out there, boys, don't do anything I wouldn't do." I said, making them both look to me, who sat on the large staircase in my feral form, "I wish you the best." There is nothing that you could do to make me feel any less love for the two that now stood before me. In a certain way, I felt like I was a mother letting two precious children into the big open world for the first time and I was emotional about it, but not enough to shed any embarrassing tears right now. Beck and Henry were two of the most important people in this world to me, besides Hyde, and I had no regrets when I say that within my head. They had both been through so much and yet they had both found each other in the end, finding happiness together. Beck simply smiled at me and gave me a small salute with one hand. "You have my word." He said, making the canine-hybrid roll his eyes, "We'll take good care of each other, won't we?" I watched as the raven-haired male's face turned slightly red and he avoided eye contact with both of us as he nodded. "Yes, I promise." He said, his words muffled by the scarf covering his face. It made yet another smile come to my maw this time around, seeing how much love and affection showed between them, despite the fact that they did not always get along at the rare times in their relationship. "Then I'll leave you to it, be safe and don't be stupid," I said with a softened chuckle as they proceeded to leave the mansion, starting their one-month honeymoon. The canine glanced at his mate for a moment before gritting his teeth together and decided to make sure that there was no bad tension between them after their previous conversation by withdrawing his right hand from the pocket of his jacket and grabbing Beck's hand, intertwining their fingers. The taller male smiled at this, squeezing his hand lightly, but not saying anything. Henry decided to not mention the fact that he was doing this to keep him warm and just begin their journey before there was any more delay. Pushing open the large doors, they were both now greeted with cold air that made the hybrids shiver slightly, but despite this, they still walked outside as the doors shut behind them and they made their way through the lightly frozen grasslands until they would reach the start of the lush forest territory that had once been their home. In hindsight, it would probably be more beneficial for them to be traveling in their alternate feral forms rather than their human forms, but secretly between the two of them, they did not wish to break their intertwined hands. The warmth of each other's palms and the familiar creases were a lovely comfort to them, even though they did not voice such things. Of course, they did not need to. Passion and love through body language and small actions like this was how it had always been between the two hybrids with fewer words exchanged than most couples. It was the type of connection between two people that did not exist elsewhere.