Chapter 11 - Adieu

☽   

It was October 22nd when we departed at the witching hour.

The others had been forbidden to join us outside, at Baldwin's command. It would have caused too much ruckus in the small area. The neighbours, the humans, would have noticed. Rumours would spread through the city as to why so many people were outside at his hour.

"The people are terribly religious", Baldwin explained. "Some still believe in witches and vampires. We don't need another hunt, not now."

So, it was ultimately Ethan that bid goodbye to us. "Clothes are packed. A map too, in case you get lost." Ethan smiled more at me than Baldwin. We all knew I was the clumsy one. "I organized some food too in case Madame turns back unexpectedly. We need to keep her on her feet."

Baldwin nodded, checking the horses' saddles one last time. "Good planing ahead." He finally stopped checking everything, and opened his arms at Ethan.

They gave each other a short, firm brotherly hug. Baldwin patted his back. "We'll return shortly. Don't worry about us." "I'll try to, Sieur Gerald. Take care on your journey." Ethan, no Luc, turned to me with a smile. "You too Madame. Promise me to always take care." "I will", I kissed his cheek and squeezed his hand.

Baldwin smiled at me, and I spotted the seriousness in his eyes. I squeezed his hand too.

Everything would be alright.

  ☽   

Baldwin helped me up the horse, and together we started our journey to Strasbourg, which would take us more than 35 hours.

Even though I haven't slept for two days, I was full of energy throughout the whole ride. This must be what vampires always felt like. I could only imagine how great it was for them, I mean us upps, to actually sleep a bit. Maybe it felt like being reborn?

Baldwin laughed as I asked him about it, shaking his head with a broad, crooked smile. "The things that go through your head sometimes", he reached out for my hand, kissing my palm. "It does feel more refreshing, yes", he finally answered.

Other then that, the ride was fairly quiet, each of us lost in their own thoughts.

Occasionally we told each other what we thought about, and as it turned out we both had the boys in mind. Baldwin had his business in mind too, just as I did.

How was my family doing? How was the Rede fairing without us? Did my aunt do a good job representing our family? Did she try to stay calm when she discussed matters with the mayors? Did Andrea lead the Rede as good as back then?

   ☽     

We never rode directly through the cities. 

Baldwin had explained to me why during our first break. 

The horses ate beside us, and I watched them do so for a while, until Baldwin dragged a dead boar along for us.

"I rode this exact route years ago", Baldwin pat the horses before he spoke again. "And we were told to not mess with anything, or to change as little as possible. Therefore, I sat down and thought every step through I took to get to this meeting." "That you remember", I teased. Baldwin flashed a toothy smile.

My eyes darted to the dead animal next to the dead creature, my stomach turning at the thought I had to stick my teeth into it. "Beginner's thoughts", he mumbled at my expression, but he sounded understanding.

"Killing and feasting gets easier over time. Now it seems disgusting, a few weeks later it's mouth-watering." Baldwin smiled at me. "To return to the topic beforehand, I don't remember little things, but major events – or things that will have an impact." "I don't judge you for it." I couldn't even look at its dead eyes.

Baldwin ate – then offered me his blood. "You need to be able to control yourself. The Rede is full of warmbloods and you are a pub." "Pub? Is that what you call young vampires?" "Not really; but it's what I call younger vampires close to me." He kissed my forehead. "We need to hurry. In a few hours, I should be in Auxerre."

   ☽     

"For one night?", the inn keeper eyed us, a sly smile on his face. "Escaping the lady's man to-" "Monsieur, my wife's pregnant and tired. If you would hurry up and give us a room to let her rest, it would be appreciated", Baldwin rose his voice, sternly glancing at him. The man apologized profoundly for his thoughts, telling us our room number and hurriedly left.

I heard his embarrassed screeches as we left the 'reception'.

Pregnant, I thought, holding onto him as he helped me up the stairs. I had to play tired, even though I could have sprinted the staircase up. 

Baldwin spoke again as we were in our room. 

"That lie is going to be handy several times. For example, you didn't go to church – we'll blame the morning sickness." "You talk from experience." "My sisters never went to church." He helped me with my shoes. "I like that shade on you."

I traced the silver dress fondly. "Margeaux helped Anne make it."

It was a typical dress of the 1840's. Off shoulder, covering my chest since I was married, short puffy sleeves, lace flounce collar and a long-pointed waist. Tiny pearls were scattered at my waistline and down the puffy dress. My red curls were a bit hidden by the hat, but the emerald earrings and necklace were enough attention demanding as it is.

"Why these colours?" "Those stand for the goddess. Her aura is mostly silver and green", I sighed with relish as he started massaging my leg.

"We are going to spend the night here", Baldwin started after a while. "At 7 am sharp, we'll have the meeting and ride back. As far as I remember, it won't even last 4 hours. Genevieve was in a hurry to go back to Austria; her oldest daughter is sick."

"Anne-Marie", I corrected. "I never bothered learning her children's names. You heard Margeaux. She was feared." Baldwin got rid of his vest. "Not even I dared to cross a border with her. I did my things and let her do her own things. We never clashed, mostly because I didn't bother speaking with her."

There was a twinkle in his eyes as he looked at me. "Back then, I told myself I must be crazy to ever start something with a de Chauvette." "Well, many do call you out of mind", I opened my arms for him.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow was the big day.

I was more to get the things I needed - and to leave.

Soon, soon I would join my family and friends again.

Alexander, Lysandre, Andrea, Ethan, Nathan, Simon, Davide, Diana, Hugh, Elizabeth, Baldwin's siblings, my aunts, uncles, cousins.

I would soon return to our times.

And then I would tackle the next thing with Baldwin - marriage.

Tomorrow I would see her.

Tomorrow, I would finally face Genevieve.

I was more than ready to.