Chapter 34 - Snooping Witch

☽ 

'I know, I know', I thought, patting my stomach apologetically. 'I've just been treated and I'm up on my feet again. I'm sorry, dear.'

Genevieve had cried all while Diane had treated my wounds. While Diane skillfully applied ointments and wrapped my scars, Genevieve's sobbing had accompanied her every movement.

I hadn't told them anything, and nobody had urged me to do so. I was glad for once they let me be.

Whitlock had even checked up on me regularly after Diane was done, bringing me food, books to read, hell even Thomas was allowed to accompany him.

The little boy had cried in my arms, had been scared he would have lost me too. I kissed his unruly hair, reassured I wouldn't die that easily.

Genevieve asked regularly if she could do anything for me. "You already know my biggest wish." With that answer, she had finally let me be.

  ☽  

I was moved to my room a week after that.

And as always, the pregnancy wouldn't let me sleep.

I slipped out of bed.

'Disappear', I commanded in my head. I instantly had to think of Sarah.

I quickly prayed for her. Wherever she may be, may she rest peacefully.

Grey smoke escaped my lips, like Sarah had said it would. I breathed out, letting it all stream out my body.

It wrapped itself around me, circling my every step as I moved.

Perfect.

I strictly made my way to her office, hurrying as I did so.

Esme kicked furiously all the while, angry I didn't let her sleep. 'Once I'm finished I'll let you do so', I promised my little sunshine and walked even faster. I smiled at how big I had gotten – I barely could see my own feet anymore. The pregnancy had been moving on swiftly. I was already in my seventh month.

I didn't feel Genevieve, nor did I hear anybody. The door silently slipped opened.

Empty.

I quickly entered it, shut the door close behind me and drew out my wand. It illuminated the room for me, floating next to me so my hands were free to work.

I approached her desk. She wouldn't hide her books in the bookcase – or else I would have long spotted them. I circled the table, traced it with my fingers. Startled, I withdrew my hand.

The table was full of scratches. As if somebody had tried to escape it.

I diminished that thought and teared open the drawer. I had little time to think about that, for now.

A book about her balances. I skimmed through it, seeing she had supported some people financially who I didn't know of, like Susan B. Anthony, Victor Emanuel II – was that a royal? and such.

The second drawer held her grimoires – which was useless to me too. Her books, and also her children's', had been passed down in our family. I was careful not to touch the, since magical objects memorized other witch's touches. Genevieve would have felt me digging around here.

I sighed as all the remaining drawers held nothing but bills, grimoires, shady black magic books and seals for her letters. I almost gave up, but as I found unevenness, a bump in her table, I stopped to think.