Chapter 42 - Walpurgis Night

"The container shop is down the road. By the signpost", Thomas walked ahead again, this time we could keep up.

As I gathered the stuff with Thomas's help, Esme returned with a band in her hand. "Thomas and I bought you this."

"Where did you get the money from?"
"Grandmother", Esme explained. Of course Genevieve would spoil her. She did mention Esme reminded her of Philippe.

I opened my hand and she laid a golden satin band onto my palm. "For mama's hair. The colour is the same as your eyes."
My eyes weren't exactly gold, but it's the thought that mattered. "Thank you, cucciola. This made Mama really happy." It had. I felt so warm on the inside. "Thomas come here."

The daemon stopped in front of me. I kissed his hair too. "Thank you, my little daemon." Thomas looked up surprised, then averted his eyes with red cheeks. "No need to."

Outside I was stopped by another witch who invited me to Walpurgia as well. The elderly woman kept herself short as she saw Thomas and Esme.
"I don't know if Isabelle explained it properly. Walpurgia is a ritual of high magic. The strongest witches in town summon powerful elemental spells, like the Witch's Water, Fire, Air and so on. Then we celebrate our gift."

She left with a wave and I sighed as other witches looked at me.

Genevieve had to laugh as she saw me. "You sent me out for them to stop bothering you, didn't you?"
"Looked right through me!", my ancestor laughed and extended her hands. I dropped the bags onto her hands before she could touch me.
Whitlock yelled at me, stopped as I took a step forward, and took the bags of his master.

"Did Jessica talk your ear off as you picked out the feathers?", Genevieve patted her green dress into place with a cheeky smile.
"So much so that I now know all the strongest witches in town. The elderly woman in Artemis Street, and yes, I know you were watching me, was one of them. Gisella. A storm witch. The other twelve are busy and aren't in town until Walpurgia."
"No wonder you needed hours for such a small list."

"They wouldn't stop bothering me."

I sent the kids away. "Come", Thomas took Esme's hand as she stubbornly stood next to me. "Let's go into the garden. I can teleport an apple from the tree."
"You can!? Show me!", Esme jolted after him, and I was forgotten after only a second.

"Why does Mother Shohet know of messengers?"
"Well, some things you need to tell the community", Genevieve shrugged.
"Why did you tell them of Esme?"
"Sisters shouldn't lie to each other."
"Yet you lied to me several times." I uncrossed my arms. Never have your arms crossed at a witch, or else you can't attack them.

"Don't talk about my daughter as if she were yours. Esme is my daughter, my worry and anything that concerns her, concerns me."
"She also is my worry. She was born under my roof, she follows after my craft. She's mine too."
"Did you impregnate me?"
Genevieve was flustered, bewildered, confused at my question. "N-No?"

"Exactly! Get off my dick then! She's my and Baldwin's daughter, not ours."

Genevieve sighed deeply. "Why are you so much work?"
"Why do you behave as if you were my mother? You have no say-so in my life, in matters about my family, friends nor craft. You are just a-"
Her magic shut my mouth. Genevieve turned around to leave.

Oh no.

Not with me.

Her cords were torn away from my mouth, falling to the floor. "You are just a crazy maniac who acts as if she were a control freak, holding me captive as if I were a serial murderer and not a relative who needs her ancestor's help! I came here because I needed you!"