Chapter 29 - The identity of Jack the Killer

Alexander's face twisted in pain for a brief second.
"What is it?", Lysandre reached out for him; before he could out, the pain disappeared from his face.

"I caught his scent", Alex lowered his head. "This way."

Lysandre watched him walk in front of him with the lowered head and slouched shoulders. Only after he followed his older brother out the garden, he caught the scent of his father.
"Your nose is impressive, as always", Lysandre told his brother, patting his shoulder. "In general, your senses are always so sharp."

"With time comes experience", Alex murmured.

The awed tone of Lysandre made him feel slightly better about himself.

"Mother would have been proud", it came out of Lysandre's mouth before he could stop himself. "She always was, no matter what we did. I mean, remember the one time we bought the groceries without her telling us to do so? Or when we remember our own appointments?"
Alex seemed to hesitate, but then let out a hearty laugh.

"Oh yeah", Alexander chuckled, his nose scrunching in progress as the corners of his lips lifted upwards. His posture straightened too. "Remember when mum moved in?"

"I could never forget. Dad made sure we were on our best behaviour, one step out of line and he shot a death glance at us."
They shared a sad smile.

"And remember when she started doing 'mum duties' instantly? Planning our days, keeping track of our family appointments?"

"How often did she show up in my room and told me what I would do on a specific day."
"It was quite the shock when she wasn't even a month with us and randomly appeared in our rooms just to tell us to buy good suits-"

"because we would talk to the mayor as representatives of our family", Lysandre finished, laughing.

"We both didn't know what the hell we were doing, but it seemed to have worked because he kept in touch with father."

Both fell quiet again.

"I miss them", Lysandre admitted, kicking the stones away that laid in his path.

"I do too ...", Alex sighed heavily. He took out the keys his grandfather had given him, and unlocked the door to the small house.

"Brandt. Second floor", Lysandre read out loud.

"Then, let's go."

  ☽  

"Needs some dire airing", Lysandre pinched his nose together.

"Desperately", Alex agreed, opening the curtains and tearing the windows open. The cold light from the winter season illuminated the small room.

Lysandre browsed around hesitantly at first. Alex went straight to the bedroom. As he noticed Lysandre's eyes on his back, he turned around. Andre raised a brow at him.

"There's a reason dad never let us in his bedroom. Because he stores important stuff there!"

"Like money, important artefacts, diaries, and such?"
"Precisely."

"Then we should leave them."

"You are no fun", Alex opened the door nonetheless.

"Alex!", Andre called after him. He couldn't sometimes believe he was the younger brother of the two. The older vampire had entered the room, going straight to the drawers.