Chapter 2- The Best Intentions

Shadow's POV-

I woke up early. Earlier than usual, but my sleep was fitful, so it was hard to imagine I'd get a lot of sleep. Especially after what had happened yesterday.

I ran my hand back through my hair, it had become a habit of mine. I just couldn't believe that I had found Amy. Just when I had given up on trying. Everyone begged me to try and find her when she had disappeared, and I had soon found that I kinda missed her presence as well. She was always cheerful and able to see the light side of everything, and with some of the stuff we've all been through, we all appreciated it.

But then she was just gone. And there was no light side to that. And now that I've found her, she says that I either have to leave without memory of seeing her, or just drop everything and leave like she had. Of course I understand why those are the choices, it's to keep everyone safe and to keep the supernatural a secret. Still, I couldn't just leave. A big part of me says that everyone back home needs to know she's alive.

I rubbed my eyes to wake myself up and crept out of my tent. It was still dark out, I checked my watch, 5:33. That makes sense. I peered over at Amy's tent. It appeared that she wasn't awake yet. Then I left the camp. When I was out of earshot, I pulled out my cellphone. Scrolling down the contact list, I found just the person I needed.

The phone rang a few times, and then I heard a tired voice, "Shadow, what the hell are you calling me for at 5:30 in the morning?" Sonic must have been at the office late last night. He did that often, especially now with the case he was dealing with.

"Amy's alive."

"WHAT? SHE'S ALIVE? WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE THE HELL HAS SHE BEEN?!!!!"

I held the phone away from my ear, wincing. Finally, when he wouldn't stop yelling, I raised my voice slightly, "Shut the fuck up Sonic! You can't tell anyone right now."

He was silent for a few moments. I almost thought he had hung up, then I heard him ask, "Why's that?"

"I'm pretty sure there are some people out there that want to kill her. For what reason I don't know yet," I said quickly before he asked. "I'm going to try and pull her out of it and bring her back home."

"Did you forget who we were before we became human? Because apparently she did. We can help!" He was really defensive. That was understandable. He felt responsible for her going missing because he didn't return feelings for her. She was more like a sister to him, and he wanted to help dearly apparently.

"Look Sonic," I sighed. "If you want to help, I'm unofficially dead. Understand? If I dont contact you before the end of the month, you guys can come searching for us." I could tell he was going to interrupt to reject the idea but I stopped him by saying sternly, "I'm serious! If you don't stay out, or it you tell anyone else about her being alive, we'll die! I'm trusting you Sonic, don't ruin it."

It was quiet again. Then I heard him sigh softly. "Alright," he said. "I'll see what I can do. But if you don't get a hold of me before the end of the month I'm coming after you guys!"

I shook my head, but I couldn't help but smile a little. "Alright, you can do that. But give me until then." Sonic and I have become closer these past years working together in the FBI, and as much as I hate to admit it, the guy is pretty cool. And it made me feel a little good that he was concerned about Amy and me as well. I'll never admit out loud though.

"Okay. I'll talk to you later then. You both be careful." Then he hung up the phone.

I ran my hand back through my hair again. This was going to be interesting.

I went back to camp, hoping that Amy was still asleep. She wasn't. She had been sitting by the now burning fire with her head in her hands. When I came into the clearing her head came up and she stared at me.

"Good morning," I greeted.

She didn't reply, instead she got up and stood in front of me. Her eyes never left mine. What was up with her? After a few moments of silence and I started to get fidgety, she held out her hand with her palm facing up. "Phone," she demanded.

Oh shit, I thought. "Why do you need it?" I asked her calmly.

Amy eyes never wavered. Her hand was still held out. "Give me the phone," she said. "Before I take it from you." She didn't sound angry, and not particularly threatening. But he could tell from the look in her eyes, she wasn't kidding.

So I hand her my cell phone. She takes it and opens up my call log, and she stares at it. Maybe she still had her heart on Sonic.

Finally, she closed her eyes, breathing deeply. I jumped when she spun on her heel, and threw my phone yelling, "Goddamnit!" The phone hit a tree and shattered. Wow she had an arm.

I stood with my hands at my sides, staring at the broken phone. What just happened? Amy stood there, one hand on her hip, the other pinching the bridge of her nose, with her eyes closed. Tears began to stream down her cheeks and her breath became shaky. "What the hell did you just do?"

A lump formed in my throat. I don't know why she is so upset. Last night, I could tell that she missed everyone. "They need to know that you're alive. I'm trying to help you," I spoke softly.

She spun on me, pointing her finger. "You're not helping," she said, raising her voice slightly. Her next words came out very shaky, "You just signed everyone's death certificate..." Her voice trailed off.