Chapter 9- Pain & Truth

I woke with a chill. My legs weren't pulled up anymore, and I was leaning against the door. God it was uncomfortable. I sat up and stretched my back a little. It was dark outside, and I could hear crickets playing soft songs. The car was stopped and Shadow was nowhere to be found. My brow furrowed in confusion and looked around to find him.

Apparently we had stopped at a rest area and Shadow was outside sitting on a bench. He was staring down at something he had in his lap and then he looked up, seeing me awake. He smiled a little and stood up. I noticed now that it was a book he had, and I saw him shove a pencil in his pocket, and that the book he had was my sketchbook. I guess he was drawing something.

He opened my door and asked softly, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

I shrugged and turned away, avoiding his red eyes. "I've been better," I replied numbly.

Shadow sighed and ran his hand back through his hair. He wanted to say something to make me feel better, but he knew that whatever he did say wouldn't make much of a difference. 

I set my hand on his shoulder and kissed him softly. "Thanks for being here for me," I whispered when I pulled away.

He gently brushed a lock of hair out of my face with his finger. "Of course, Roza," he whispered back. "I'd never leave you behind. Even if things get hard."

A slight breeze drifted by and I shivered. Shadow immediately took his red flannel and handed it to me. Blood rushed to my cheeks as I smiled a 'thank you' and slipped it on.

Shadow looked at the time. "We could be at Finnley's place in about an hour," he said. "You wanna stay the night here, or would you like to just go over now?"

I hugged myself and sighed. "He'll want to see me as soon as possible after what happened today, and he'll still be up probably. We should just try to get there soon," I told him.

He nodded in understanding. He dug into his pocket for something and handed me $5. I frowned in confusion.

"There's a vending machine out by the restrooms, and I figured you might want something to eat or drink and stretch your legs a bit," he explained. "We've been driving for awhile."

"Sure. Would you like anything?" I asked as I climbed out of the car, holding his red flannel closed against my chest.

He ran his hand back through his hair and paused, thinking. "Pepsi or Coke?" He asked.

"Okay, I'll be right back then."

I walked slowly to the restrooms, trying to get feeling back into my legs. They felt numb from sitting for so long. I went to the restroom and then bought Shadow a Pepsi, and got myself a water and a cinnamon roll.

The night breeze was chilly, so I buttoned up Shadow's flannel and then traveled back to the car, opening my cinnamon roll on the way there.

I absently took a bite and thought to myself. What is today? It's the 12th of May. I paused. Hold on. My birthday was the 13th.

(I just chose a random date.)

Danny got killed on the day before my fucking 21st birthday. I curse whatever jackass decides events. They just can't give me a break, can they?

I opened the door and climbed in. I handed Shadow his Pepsi, and he thanked me. Then I shut the door. I guess I slammed it or something cause now shadow looked at me with concern. "You okay?" He asked.

I turned toward the window, avoiding his gaze. "Tomorrow's my birthday," I muttered, super pissed.

He clenched his jaw and shook his head in disbelief. "Damn," he whispered.