Chapter 20- Living Nightmare

I stood in the hallway that branched off from the kitchen and living room with my arms crossed, staring at everyone gathered. "Okay," I said more patiently than when I talked to them before. "What were you guys going to talk to us about?"

Silver tried to look behind me to see if Amy was right there. "Isn't Amy coming?"

"She's sick," I said curtly. "And someone better tell me before I lose my patience. Make it fast, make it short."

Sonic stopped Silver before he went on, because he probably sensed that Silver would say something to piss me off. "The Hunters want to make a move on the Diren. They've trained well, and get want to attack them before the Diren attack us."

I sighed and shook my head. I understood why they felt that, I really do. I've been itching to fight them too. "The Diren won't attack until the Profeta is out of the way. They won't even plan one any further until she's dead."

"Do they know that Amy is the Profeta?" Blaze piped in worriedly.

I shook my head again. "Amy has another insider to help. He and Danny were the ones who kept the Council's suspicions small. They tortured Amy to find out who it was, though," I explained hurriedly.

"Wait, 'another insider'? What are you talking about?" Knuckles asked.

I ran my hand back through my hair in exasperation. Amy was probably asleep by now and I need to go back to her. "Look, I can't explain this right now. I have to take care of Amy."

"I can go take care of her, if you'd like," Rouge offered.

"She's sleeping," I said simply, making them all back off. Then I spun on my heel and went back into the bedroom.

Amy turned over uneasily and I knew she was beginning to have a bad dream. I pulled a chair out and sat in front of her, taking her hand in mine and running my thumb over it softly. She quieted and relaxed again and I couldn't help but smile a little. She's so cute when she's asleep.

A dark spot just below her jaw caught my eye, so I brushed her hair out of the way carefully. There was a dark circle there. It was purple, but had a red ring of infection around it. Where did she get that? I thought about it for a long time, and just when I was about to give up, I figured it out.

That's where Anthony had jabbed her with the Rytica for the first time. That day when they took her away from me. My interest piqued, I gently pulled her hand to reveal her forearm. The wounds from the Rytica that I had originally thought were healed, were just like the one on her jaw. Dark purple with red rings around them.

Why is it doing that? She's supposed to be getting better! I ran my hand back through my hair in concern. Maybe Anthony would know what's going on. He's the expert on the Rytica, I thought bitterly.

A knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts, and it opened before I answered. I looked up from my watch on Amy and saw Rouge peeking her head in. "Shadow?" she called.

I sighed, not in the mood for my friends' attention. "Yes?" I answered anyway.

She now entered the room fully. "Do you know how we can help her?"

I sighed again, out of sadness more than irritation. "Yeah, maybe. I just don't like it."

She perked up. "What is it? What can the rest of us do to help?"

"Nothing," I said simply, standing up. I went over to the closet and grabbed a jacket, pulling it on and zipping it up. "Just do what you can when she wakes up."

"How do you know she'll wake up?" She asked.

"Hmm," I thought for a second. "She'll probably wake up in about 10 minutes."