Chapter 3- A Change Of Plans

Amy's POV-

"You just signed everyone's death certificate.." my voice trailed off.

"What are you talking about?" Shadow asked, his voice hardly more than a whisper.

I sighed, in hindsight, I should've known a day like this would come. "Come sit by the fire, I'll tell you everything you need to know." So he sat down across from me, on the other side of the fire. My anger had finally died. I knew why he did it, and I understand. His heart was in the right place if not his mind. But then again, I didn't tell him exactly why I should've remained hidden.

I told him everything. It had taken a good amount of the day, but he listened intently, asking only the occasional question. Usually they weren't because he didn't listen, but because I didn't explain myself well. The only thing I didn't tell him was how you killed the Diren. Like I said, I'll never tell anyone.

Again we sat by the fire, staring at it. I looked up into his crimson eyes. They reminded me of a Diren, whom all had red eyes. He was The Ultimate Lifeform though, so he's probably very similar to a Diren, without being able to inject people with venom, of course.

He ran his hand back through his hair. "Sonic said something to me, a little before I got off the phone with him."

"Okay," I said in a tone that suggested him to continue.

"He asked if I, if you, really, had forgotten who we were before we had all become human. That they could help."

I was already shaking my head. "No," I said, being a little more terse than I had wanted. "I'm not dragging them into this."

"Don't you think you already did when you left without a single word?" He snapped, glaring at me. I recoiled a little in shock, I've seen him angry before. But never at me. He wiped a hand across his face in exasperation. "I'm sorry. It's just, we looked. We looked for so long. Sonic and I, we continued long after everyone else gave up." He looked down and continued, "I continued looking even after Sonic finally gave up."

I averted my eyes as well. I probably shouldn't have asked, but the question bugged me. "Why?" He looked up at me, appearing confused. I shrugged and explained, "I mean, you and I have never really been close."

He shrugged again, seeming uncomfortable. "They had asked me to help them, when you had gone missing. I felt like I owed it to them, after everything you guys had done for me. I felt like if I gave up, I'd be letting them down. Sonic though, he finally told me to give it a rest. I guess they thought I was putting a little too much of myself into the search and they wanted me back as their friend."

I swallowed hard. I felt horrible. I found myself going to sit next to him and I leaned my forehead on his shoulder. I fought against crying. I've already cried twice in front of him. "I'm sorry," I managed to whisper past the lump in my throat.

I could feel his head turn to look down at me. "Do you regret it?" I heard him ask. "Do you regret becoming a monster hunter?" He explained further.

His breathing was steady, I fell into the smooth rhythm of it. He felt strong, and it comforted me somehow. It took me a moment to answer. But when I did, I was kind of surprised by my words. "No," I said slowly. "I don't." Then I looked up at him through blurry eyes. "I do regret causing you all so much pain though. I can never find a way to fix that, to get rid of that pain. That," I said with a nod, "I do regret."

Shadow's POV-

I stared into her piercing green eyes. Her pink hair, which apparently she chose to keep shoulder length, framed her beautiful face. The circumstances seemed weird, but she was oddly attractive right now. I didn't expect such a brave and honest answer. I could tell she was being honest, she said it so clearly, her eyes never wavering.