Chapter Eight

Leon

" where you at?" I asked into the phone. I was pulling out of the parking lot of her club and Ashley wouldn't leave me mind. She was my happy place when everything else was crazy- especially afted handling business- had been for ten years which is why when I was with her now everything was so confusing. I went from looking at her and seeing the love of my life to seeing someone that broke my heart in a matter of seconds. " you at home?"

" what do you want? Did you fuck up my private room?" Ashley asked calmly before snapping the last question at me.

I chuckled. " nah, not for real. Just a lil blood- Its nothing that can't be cleaned up. You at home though?"

" no, im spending the night at my mom's house. Raegan was asking about you but she's asleep now."

" aight, I'm on my way over." I swerved slightly to avoid going up on the sidewalk. I had been paying more attention to Ashley's sweet voice than to the road.

" don't come over here. I just said your daughter is asleep, plus if my mom sees you she's liable to pop you in ya jaw again."

" moms still don't like me huh?"

" nope." She said, popping the 'p'. " she hasnt liked you in like seven years, no need to start back now."

" fuck it, im still bout to pull up. If she hit a nigga then oh well."

" Leon, I said don't-"

I pulled the phone away from my ear, hanging up before dropping it in the seat next to me. It didnt matter what she said, I knew and she knew that she wanted me to come through... even if she wouldn't say it, and even if we were just "co-parenting".

That co-parenting shit was going to be the death of me soon enough. As if I wasnt confused already about if I could forgive her or not, now i had her trying to pull away from me before I could even work it all out. And granted, it had been almost a year since she'd stepped out on me but I was still struggling to even think about it, let alone talk about and get over it.

A few minutes into my drive my phone rang. I fully expected it to be Ashley cussing me out for hanging up on her like always but it wasn't. It was Dryan.

" yo." I answered.

" yeah, uh- where you at?"

" on my way to do something. What, nigga?" I tiptoed carefully around his question. Nobody knew about Ashley except Dryan and Tyrone and nobody aside from them two knew about Raegan- and despite the fact that Dryan already knew, I didn't want to discuss it further.

It just wasnt something that I was ready to talk about in detail.

That thought alone fucked me up because if i couldnt tell my best friends about what was going on with me then what did that say about me? Probably that my trust issues ran deeper than just Ashley stepping out on our relationship. The shit stemmed from childhood, but that was also some shit that I wasn't ready to address either, no matter how hard my therapist pushed.

" first thing in the morning we riding. This shit in this nigga phone man... you wouldn't believe."

" aight I got you. You at my place?"

" yeah."

" cool. Ima be home later probably or first thing in the morning. I gotta do something real quick."

He sucked his teeth. " if you going to see Ashley then just say that you going to see Ashley, nigga. I already know. You a fucking weirdo, man, I swear."

I chuckled. If he wasn't one of my best friends, I would have snapped. " you dont know where I'm going. Fuck is you a psychic or something?"

"Nah, nigga, I'm a psycho not a psychic but still i already be knowing everything. Ima let you try and be mysterious though, Leon. I'm out."