Chapter Three

Ashley

Carmen and i went over some more paperwork before I went to run errands. At four o'clock I picked Reagan up from school and took her out to eat before dropping her at my mom's for the night.

When my mom opened her front door She shook her head. " you know, you really ought to quit that lil job at that club."

" how many times do I have to remind you that I own the place?"

" you gone have to remind me every night you leave your daughter here."

I sighed before leaning down and kissing Raegan's forehead. " I love you, baby. Make sure you do your homework."

" I will, Mommy. Is daddy taking me to school in the morning?"

" I'll call and make sure he is."

" yay!"

I smiled before handing her over to my mother. " thanks, mom. I really appreciate you watching her."

" oh I love the little chicken nugget."

" hey," Rae complained. " I'm not a chicken nugget. You're a chicken nugget."

The two started going back and forth playfully and I saw it fit to leave then.

When I got back in my car and started on my way to the club I made sure to call Leon. He sent my first call to voicemail but answered when I called back a second time.

" yeah?"

I sighed. " I just dropped Raegan off at my mom's house. She wants you to take her to school again in the morning."

" yeah, aight. " He paused. " yo, why she always at ya mom's, man?"

" because you've been hiding her from your mom for her entire life? I'd be more than happy to introduce her to your family if that's what you'd like." I answered.

" that's not what I meant and you know it. You always at that damn club and Raegan is always at ya mom's house now. It was never like this when we was together. Yo ass was at home every night."

" nigga are you paying my bills anymore? Are you buying my clothes? Are you buying my fucking tampons? No!"

" I give you money every month and don't act like I don't."

" and I use that money for Reagan's schooling, stupid."

" dont call me stupid, Ashley." He snapped.

" well you sound fucking stupid, Leon! I pay $1,100 for mortgage, my fucking gas and electric is almost five hundred dollars, and you the one who wanted Raegan to go to a private school which is $2000 a month. The money you give me literally only pays for her schooling. So boom! And that's not even half of what I have to pay for on a monthly basis. So the next time you want to criticise me for working all the time-don't."

I wanted to hang up on him in that moment but I didn't. And I'm sure he wanted to hang up just as bad but instead we just sat there listening to each others breathes for a moment.

" why are we arguing?" I asked, pulling up at a red light and taking the moment to lay my head back on the head rest.

" because I'm still mad."

" about what? Me saying we should just co-parent? I really think it's for the-"

He cut me off. " no, about you letting another nigga touch what's been mine since I was eighteen... after you promised it was gone be mine forever."

I felt a slight burn behind my eyes and I recalled the exact conversation he was mentioning. We were laid up in his bed- had been all day. It was our first time having sex and we couldn't seperate. But when it was finally time for me to leave for work that night, he wouldnt let me out of bed until i promised him that I would be his forever... And I made him promise the same thing.