Chapter VIII

I pick up my ringing phone and press it against my ear.

"What do you need mom?" I ask, my attention focused on the new materials and gemstones being imported for the creation of Elusive's newest line.

"Hey darling," She replies. "Your father and I would like for you and Kenneth to join us for lunch today."

My eyes go to the clock on my desk. Twelve thirty was marked.

"Let me check to see if Kenneth will be able to accompany me." I reply.

"Alright honey, if he can't come, would you come. Your dad and I have something important to announce." She answers.

I frown. "Last time you said that I ended up with an unplanned engagement." I retort.

"Honey, I swear it's nothing like that. Please, come." She pleads and I let out a sigh of defeat.

"Alright, but only if Kenneth is able to come." I state before hanging up.

I look through my contacts before clicking on my hubby's name.

"Hey beautiful." He greets and the sound of his voice causes me to smile.

"Hey, my mom wants to see if we can go to their place for lunch, she has something to announce." I inform.

"Of course! You were there for me and now it's my turn to be there for you." Kenneth replies and my smile widens. "I will go pick you up in ten minutes." He adds.

"Alright, I will see you then." I state. "Oh and Kenneth!" I call hoping he did not press the hang up button yet.

"Yeah, beautiful?" He asks.

I bite my bottom lip. "Thank you." I whisper but I know he heard me.

"You're welcome wifey." He states before we end the call.

I save my work and turn off the computer. I grab my bag and head towards the door.

"Mary, cancel my appointments for the next three hours." I instruct and she nods.

"May I go to my lunch break early?" She asks and I nod.

"Misses Hathaway." Freddy, who was standing near Mary's desk greets with a simple nod.

"Hi Freddy." I reply as I lead the way to the private elevator.

I press the floor for the lobby and wait. The ding announces we have arrived at the lobby floor.

"Misses Hathaway, are you leaving early?" Amanda asks and I shake my head.

"I have to run out for a bit but I will be back." I answer and she nods.

Freddy and I walk out to the parking lot and Kenneth was just arriving in a black SUV. He steps out and walks over to me and pecks my lips.

"I came as fast as I could." He states as he leads me into the car while Geraldo holds the door open for us.

"Thank you," I state before climbing in.

"What do your parents want?" He asks and I shrug.

"My Mom just said to go to the house." I reply as I lay my head on his shoulder. "Did I pull you out of a meeting?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"Actually, my twelve o'clock appointment cancelled and I was just about to go to my lunch break." He answers.

I look up at him with guilt. "Oh honey, I'm sorry I deprived you of your lunch break. You must be hungry." Kenneth places his hand on top of mine.