The Devil You Don't

It's been weeks since the breach in the wall. Everything went back to normal for the most part, with the exception of the whispers. Whispers of three soldiers that held the ground between the light and dark. The kids around called it the "Battle of the Black Rangers" and in it was a tale of three heroes holding a line from an entire horde of Husks. Each story was a little different, but one thing was the same. Three people dressed in black, each an enemy, united by a force greater than themselves.

The kids think that we're heroes.. They think that we're watching over them. Waiting for our time of need. Ironically, I've kept my watch on since then. Just in case. Juliet promised to keep her mouth shut about who I was to everyone, so my identity was still safe.

I wake up and get out of bed in my PJ's, stretching and walking into the living room. Through the living room and into the kitchen, I make myself a mug of coffee and read the latest paper. A knock on the door urges me to get up. As I walk to my door I can hear more than one voice at the door.

I open my door and see Alexa and Sylvia in handcuffs, two guards in the back, but in front of them all was a red headed woman with aviator glasses on.

"Has Christmas came early?" I joke

"Shut it Civilian 1337. We all are gonna have a little chat. If you don't know me then let me introduce myself. I'm the general of the NCR's entire military... And I have a lot of questions." She and the rest of them barge in and all take seats in the living room. I follow them and sit in the middle between Alexa and Sylvia. Both seem to be pissed off.

"Okay, before we start... You're gonna tell your men to uncuff my friends... Or our chat, and your men, are gonna be cut short." I grab my revolver from under my cushion and reach outwards, my sword flying into my hand.

The woman smiles and the men drop their weapons on her orders, also uncuffing the two women beside me. "I had come here to see if the stories were true... It took a lot of digging to find you three.. It was you guys wasn't it? Drop the gun Archer. The sword too. I know all three of your guy's track records. No one else fits the bill. If three people could hold a line of Deads, it's you three."

I signal the other two to let me do the talking and they nod. "Enough with the flattery. I have experience with alternative motives. Get on with it."

"For a people who are in service, you all have quite the mouth... Nevertheless.. I need to know how you three are so efficient. If I can make my men even a fourth as efficient as you three, we could take back this whole state in a year. And from there, it's only a matter of time before we reclaim the rest of the country." She sits back in her chair, invested.

I use my contacts to fish for information on her, finding what I need. "Sorry Pvt. Keys. That's above your pay grade. You want to bring up service, right? Before all this you were in the reserves and then you were court martialed for desertion. Whatever you want to know, it's classified. If you've read my files, you should know, I'm your superior. Listen. I know this is your job. I get it. But leave me alone. I just want to live a quiet life."

In shock, the woman looks to the floor. "Is that so? Then why did you walk outside and help those people? You want quiet? You could've fled with the rest of them. So.. Why?"

I look down, not even knowing quite why myself. "Some aren't soldiers by choice. When the world calls, we answer because that's just who we are. We stand for the people who can't. We fight for those who dare to believe in something more than just this. I... We... Aren't soldiers by choice... We all have something to protect. And that's these people."