Chapter Seven

A/N: A week later <3

It was 8:09am as Michael's PT cruiser pulled into Jeremy's driveway. He parked, pocketed his keys and ran to the front door, pulling his hoodie closer to his body as he shivered. He unlocked the door with his own key but knocked out of courtesy knowing Mr Heere was still home.

"Good morning Michael," Mr Heere's voice rang groggily from the kitchen. Michael followed the sound as well as the smell of coffee, maybe he would have time for a cup before going to school.

"Good morning," He poked his head around the frame of the kitchen door, "umm, is Jeremy up?"

Paul was wearing his work clothes and was sorting through the items in the fridge, shopping list in hand, "Ah, well he's had a rough time lately and today isn't one of his best so I don't think he'll be going to school. I'm sure he would appreciate it if you wanted to check in on him now though."

He seemed troubled, the typically spotless kitchen still had remnants from what appeared to be last night's dinner over the counter and a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Michael frowned, Jeremy would often go the whole day without saying a word but Paul could always get him out of bed at least, "Actually, do you mind if I err...stay here today to, you know, look after Jeremy? I'll call the school as soon as you leave for work and I can clean this kitchen as well. You must be late already; do you need me to move my car?"

Paul smiled, "Michael, I do not know what this family would do without you. I would really appreciate that, thank you so much. And your car is fine where it is."

Michael smiled timidly, "all G Me Heere. I'll go check on Jeremy."

He took the stairs two at a time but regretted it once he got to the top and was out of breath. He made a mental note to himself that he was going to buy a bungalow when he was older.

He walked down the familiar baby blue corridor, the skylight and cream coloured carpet always made it feel really spacious and welcoming. He breathed the place in, he could still smell Paul's cologne from the bathroom on the left. The same scent Jeremy used.

He opened the door to his friend's room cautiously. The curtains were drawn and so it was pitch black save the glow stars on the roof that the boys routinely replaced as a tribute to their childhood. Jeremy was curled up in his blanket at the corner of his bed, head resting against the wall behind him.

His hair was dishevelled and his eyes looked red and puffy, he must have been crying. Michael almost burst into tears himself but decided that he couldn't fail his friend and making a fuss wasn't going to help.

"Jerry," he called softly, "it's me, can I come give you a hug? Is that okay?"

Jeremy held his arms out in response and the taller boy rushed towards him, laying him down gently on his side and cuddling into him, one arm over Jeremy's torso and the other stroking his hair. His right arm was in an uncomfortable position but he knew that this was the most effective way to calm his friend down so there was nothing to be done about it.

They sat like that for some minutes before Michael spoke, "No school today okay? I'm going to call in and say you've got a fever. I've got nothing important on today and you don't have anything due so it's going to be fine. Then I'll make us some breakfast, scrambled eggs and some tea unless you don't like those things anymore. Then we can come upstairs and cuddle a bit more until you fall asleep okay? Then maybe we can play some video games later huh?"

Jeremy nodded, sniffling before turning around to bury his face in Michael's chest.

"Is it the SQUIP?"