Chapter Nine

Michael sat on the bed next to Jeremy who was swinging his legs and fiddling with the corner of his pillow case.

"What is it you wanted to talk about Jer?"

He took a deep breath and focused on the carpet under his feet, "We're really good friends, right? Like, if I say something really weird you'll still talk to me, right?" He looked up into the other boy's eyes.

"If you murdered someone I am not helping you hide the body, this isn't Heathers or some shit."

Jeremy chuckled a little, "No, it's nothing like that. I need you to listen for a bit though so just, don't interrupt me." A nod. He exhaled. He could do this.

"Okay where do I start? I just...you're amazing Michael. You're the single most important and influential thing in my life and our friendship is super important to me. I love being around you, I love how you care about me, I love how unique and true to yourself you are and I love how smart and passionate you are. I'm so proud of you and I actually owe you so much. I don't know how I didn't realise until a few weeks ago that you're the only reason I've gotten out of bed for probably the past decade." He chuckled to himself again, "Which brings me to what I've needed to say to you for a while. You know how I said after the play I had like this epiphany and just sort of realised that I was Bi?" Michael nodded, "Well that's not quite true. What I realised after the play was that it's you Michael. It's all you." He looked over at the boy next to him, "What I'm trying to say is that I'm in love with you. In a 'much more than friends' type way."

Michael blinked. Once. Twice.

Jeremy panicked and looked away, "Look, I'm sorry, I've probably fucked everything up. Just leave if y-"

He was cut off by Michael pulling him into a kiss by his shirt collar. Both boys felt fireworks ignite in their stomachs and Jeremy kissed back immediately, wrapping his arms around Michael's neck. It was sweet and new and wonderous. Miraculously, Michael's glasses didn't get in the way. He placed his hands on Jeremy's hips, his long fingers curling around to Jeremy's back. He deepened the kiss and Jeremy pressed back forcefully.

They parted, breathing heavily, eyes wide.

Michael cleared his throat, "You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do that."

Jeremy cocked an eyebrow, "Enlighten me."

"Let's just say you're the main reason I realised I was gay."

Jeremy spluttered incredulously, "Wait, you've had a crush on me for the past five years?"

"No, a bit over four and a half," he said defensively.

Relief washed over him, Michael liked him back, "Can I kiss you again? I feel like you deserve it."

"Oh, please."

Jeremy leant in and pressed their lips together, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend's (where they boyfriends?) waist. It was more forceful this time and when they parted for air Jeremy's skin tingled where Michael had been cupping his cheeks.

"Does this mean I'm your boyfriend now?" The smaller boy asked cautiously.

"Considering we've been best friends for twelve years I feel like we can skip a couple of those weird levels of dating and be boyfriends. Is that cool with you?" Michael scratched the back of his neck.

"I don't know if I'd say 'cool' because I'm kind of freaking out but I would love that." He blushed.

"Yeah, same." Michael cleared his throat again, "You don't mind too much if we take this really slowly do you? It's just, you're really special Jeremy and I don't want to mess up."

Jeremy blushed deeply, he couldn't believe someone as amazing as Michael thought that he, Jeremy Heere, was special. He could feel his heart swelling in his chest, radiating a warm, fuzzy sensation throughout his body. He smiled, wiggling closer to Michael so he could hug him around the waist and rest his head on said boy's shoulder, "That's fine by me. I love you Michael."

Michaelhummed in contentment, wrapping an arm around Jeremy's shoulder and planting akiss on his head, "I love you too, dork.">�e]P��