Chapter 7 - Returning from the barracks

Due to Earl Terejia's financial support, the military barracks constructed here had a large bath installed in it as well.

The bath was simple in construction, two types of water tanks were lined up against the walls, and either hot water or regular water would come down from them. The water source was the pond, benefitting me greatly, and its heat source was the kitchen stove. There was plenty of steam rising from the hot water section, so I might even be able to call it a steam bath.

For bathing, we would use a washbasin and a hand pail. Wait until the water in the hand pail is at an appropriate temperature, and then use that to wash my body with. For the sake of injured soldiers with open wounds, lavender has also been put into the water tank, as a way of disinfecting the water.

Since I used to often throw up over myself as a soldier in training, I would usually have to visit this bath twice a day.

"Today's my final farewell to this bath, eh......"

Today's the last day of my three months in the barracks. It was a long time, but it also happened in the blink of an eye. I squeezed out the water that was soaking into my bathrobe, making it heavy, in order to help calm myself down. The bathrobe's thickness was enough so that it wouldn't be transparent after it got wet, but that also made it somewhat inconvenient. But after all, I can't let myself be bathing in the buff here. I'm almost six years old and should have nothing to worry about, but this is the original me speaking. It also seems that nobles are supposed to keep up proper appearances at all times.

"If you want to do something that a viscountess should be doing, make a large bath in the village, Charlie."

While washing my hair, I replied to Kamil's request halfheartedly with a "I'll consider it." I wondered exactly how much it would cost, but since I'm not privy to the financial situation or budget of my domain now, I have no idea how to calculate it out.

"I don't think it should be all that difficult if you base it off the bath in Pactoshiki."

"How am I supposed to use that as a reference. On top of only you knowing about that place, just exactly how much about that place do you even remember?"

The place that Kamil had just mentioned was a country far, far to the south. I wonder just exactly how many people in Axia even know the name Pactoshiki. Because Mrs. Marshan is so knowledgeable about many things, that's why I learned the name of this place as well from her, but why does Kamil know about a far away obscure place like this.

"Well, you have a point. Because my father was from there, he taught me about it in detail."

While laughing loudly, Kamil suddenly poured a pail of hot water on me. A large amount of the water splashed on my face, and when I glared at him reflexively, he looked back at me with a feminine seeming face and an innocent expression as if he didn't do anything. This bastard, he's feigning ignorance, even though he just splashed water on me, now you've done it! Without any maturity at all, I returned the favor by throwing all the water in my own washbasin at him.

"You damned bastard, using your washbasin is unfair!"

"It's because Charlie started it!"

"The one who started splashing with water was you!"

The shouting and shrieking lasted for only a few seconds. A merciless fist descended on my head from above, and I saw stars in front of my eyes.

"You're annoying, you stupid brats."

The fist belonged to Gunther who had come in to bathe without me realizing it. There was a visible vein popping on his forehead, and his irritated voice resounded throughout the bath. As a military leader known for not going easy even on the youngest soldiers, and with an imposing aura to go along with his status...... He, he was, absolutely terrifying.