Chapter 11 - My first birthday celebration

It was finally time for my birthday celebration, right when my fatigue had reached its peak from preparing for it every day. Starting from today, for the next three days it'll be hellishly busy until I can finally take a break.

"......Stop laughing constantly."

Among the heavily exhausted mood in the air, there was one bastard who was cheerfully laughing. It was Kamil. He was holding his stomach, laughing at my outfit. It's so annoying, I can't stand it.

"But! ......Ha, hehehehe......"

What a terrible bastard. So annoying. His voice is infuriating, and even covering up the sound of my own thoughts. Because I'm so tired, even the small things are annoying.

But, the reason why Kamil was laughing so hard was because of the irritating outfit I had to wear. Everyone thinks that I look ridiculous so I'm in a bad mood. I wasn't able to choose my own outfit for the celebration, it was something the earl had picked out for me.

My hair was coiled in a bun on top of my head, with casual accessories and I was in elaborate, formal knight wear and a mantle. No matter how you look at it, it's an outfit for boys. Originally, as a respectable girl, I should have been wearing a circlet and bliaud.

"There's no helping it. It's the custom."

Earl Terejia who was next to me said so in a subdued voice. The domain lord had to personally tour the domain while he or she was still a minor for the birthday celebrations. And, for the celebration, the Axian custom for nobles is to wear formal knight attire. If he hadn't been dead, my father probably would have been wearing this.

Up until now no young girls had ever inherited the domain lord's position, so unfortunately I have become the first ever example. Earl Terejia still dressed me in the customary knightly formal attire...... I guess this means that my birthday celebration will be done as if I were a boy.

It's finally time for me to get on horseback and lead the marching troops. Indeed as Mrs. Marshan had said so before, leading an army really wasn't for women. Also, riding a horse in a dress would be disastrous.

With this taken into consideration, I really don't see why Kamil had been laughing so hard up until now. He doesn't think that this formal attire for boys is unfitting for me. Rather, it's something more like it's too fitting.

"It, it's perfect on you...... Hehehe...... Charlie isn't cute at all...... Hehe."

......It's reversed. It looked much better on me than expected. Is that really so funny? Well, there's hardly any differences between boys and girls when they're six years old, shouldn't it not matter that much what they wear? I feel like I'll never understand in my life just what is it that this guy finds funny.

Our parade that had left early in the morning passed slowly through the villages. The people were quite different from the last time I had seen them, when they were filled with eyes that had wanted to kill my father and his retainers. Although they still seemed quite poor, it was a longs ways off from the unimaginable time when they were nothing but skin and bones with empty eyes. They've improved thanks to the earl.

However, the number of villagers that seemed joyed at seeing me were rather limited in number, I saw quite a few people who didn't even try to conceal how much hatred was in their eyes directed at me.

I guess they still can't forgive the fact that I'm a Cardia.

I didn't let it affect the smile on my face, and continued leading the parade as I had practiced in training. No matter which village we moved on to, there was a complicated mix of feelings directed at me.