Chapter 32

The days passed by as reports came in about the fire moth extermination and how the eastern village construction was progressing. The other day, thirty warhorses from the Ruktoferd domain were delivered to us, so Earl Terejia's establishment of a cavalry troop has become one step closer to realization, and other than that, not much has happened.

Then, a messenger from the Jugfena royal domain's army arrived at the Kaldia domain.

The earl and I welcomed him in the mansion's drawing room. The soldier was completely covered from head to toe in chain mail, with a tunic embroidered with the Arxia Kingdom's coat of arms, a crown and the Sacred Code, covering his armor. I pulled on the earl's sleeve carefully so as to not dirty it, and got "he's a knight" as a response in return.

I see, so he's a knight. It's okay to use knights as messengers.

Knights are what we call nobles that have become military officers. To be more precise, knights are those that have officially entered the knights, and commoners that enter the knights can become titled knights as well. Since nobles without titles can become titled knights as well, entering the knighthood is basically a way to earn nobility.

"Welcome to the Kaldia domain."

"I'm greatly obliged for your welcome. I bring a message from the leader of the Jugfena Fortress Knights, Earl Einsbark."

The knight entered without even sitting down, and remained standing between the chair and the desk. It's some urgent business. Since he was still standing, the earl and I remained standing as well.

The knight looked at the earl's expression of anticipation, and solemnly began speaking.

"About ten women and children from the Shiru tribe have arrived at Fort Jugfena. They're currently under our protection."

......At the knight's words, I gently closed my eyes. The time has finally come, eh. It's been two months since we decided to accept the refugees, the Shiru tribe has done well to escape from the Densel army.

"According to one of them, there's still forty more of the Shiru tribe that will arrive. They're being pursued by a company of three hundred Densel soldiers. The Kaldia domain has agreed to take in the refugees, so will there be any problems in accepting them?"

"There are none."

When I answered, the knight looked at me in surprise. Mmm, although he glanced at Earl Terejia, the earl nodded and he nodded back before looking me in the eye. He's a praiseworthy knight. Even when others know that I'm Viscountess Kaldia, they always treat Earl Terejia as the domain lord instead.

"Very well then. Together with the one thousand refugees currently under protection at the fort, it shall be fine to send them here as promised?"

"Yes, of course."

The knight nodded at me, then he hesitated a little.

"......Viscountess Kaldia, Earl Einsbark would like to request for your aid in defending Fort Jugfena."

I could see that he was troubled and perplexed in his eyes, and he was looking at me with a changed expression. He seemed to be feeling a sense of guilt, it's very easy to see that he probably doesn't want to involve children in battle.

He's honest about his feelings. And, he's very ethical.

I remembered that when Earl Terejia first taught me about the neighboring country, he had avoided looking me in the eyes.

"I shall accept this request. I'll take fifty soldiers from the Kaldia army and travel to Fort Jugfena."

"......You will personally?"