Chapter 29 - Defending against fire moths

Chapter 29 – Defending against fire moths

I used four days to learn as much about monsters and countermeasures against them as I could, cramming it in, and Earl Terejia posted notices within the domain about countermeasures to put into practice against the fire moths.

Due to the report that it's now their active period, once it becomes autumn, with the dry season, the fire moths will become even more of a fire hazard. This summer, their numbers are about average, but last winter an unusual thing had occurred. Usually the fire moths disappear during the winter, but it seems that last winter they remained active and still attacked people's villages.

"Mrs. Marshan, there's no mistake that salt water is the most effective thing at exterminating the fire moths?"

"Indeed."

"I would like to see this for myself. Please tell Bellway that I would like to have three fire moths captured for me."

Fire moths, just like regular moths and butterflies, have scales that repel water. And what's more, fire moths seem to be quite water resistant, so only using water would be useless.

However, fire moths seem to be quite weak against salt. I don't understand the exact reason, but I vaguely remember learning in science class during my previous life something about certain insects being weak to salt.

Upon receiving my request, Mrs. Marshan left the room immediately. Normally, I'd be requesting Kamil, but he's not here right now, and for now, even outside of lessons, Mrs. Marshan has taken over his duties. And what's more, she would always follow me everywhere. It was necessary for a domain lord to always have someone by them to carry out their orders, is what Mrs. Marshan was teaching me, and I'm very grateful that Mrs. Marshan is more open-minded and accepting of different ways of thinking.

"Salt, eh......"

To think it would be salt. In Arxia, salt is the cheapest among all seasonings, although it's still fairly expensive among daily necessities. I intend to see if I can find something to substitute for it. For now, I'll just think on countermeasures against the fire moths with salt water as the main weapon.

Then, since we know that salt water can defeat the fire moths, we can have salt prepared to help defend the villages.

It isn't that rare for fire moths to cause fires, but since the trees native to here usually have high moisture content, the main thing to be concerned about are each village's stockpiles of dried firewood.

As for the forests in my domain, rather than using the soldiers on duty at the area under direct control, I'd prefer if it would be possible for the citizens in my domain to guard them instead. Right now, I'd prefer to avoid adding to the citizens' sense of fear by sending soldiers.

Fire moths are mainly active during the daytime. Even if it's their active period, it's highly unlikely for fire moths to be flying about at night. In my domain, since the moon is usually hidden by the Amon Nor Mountains, it's quite dark at night. It seems that fire moths don't have night vision, so they can't fly around without any moonlight.

However, since the villagers don't have lights, night comes early for them. They end their day and go to sleep when the sun goes down. It'll be necessary to organize patrols around the villages each day until it becomes completely dark at midnight, and find volunteers for that.

......Organizing the villagers to protect their own villages, it feels almost like a vigilante corps. In this case, it might be for the best if I seriously try and establish a vigilante patrol.

There's also the situation with the neighboring country to the east, taking into consideration that Kaldia might be invaded by enemies, this might be a good chance to teach the people some basics of self-defense now. I'd like to make an organization with the villagers that would improve our cooperation and communication.