Chapter 28 - Magical beasts

Chapter 28 – Magical beasts

Kamil has left the mansion, and so has that child who was secretly staying in the innermost part of the mansion, but daily life here at the mansion didn't change all that much. Under Earl Terejia's instructions, I would help him and Bellway with their work, and listen to Claudia tell stories about her time with the soldiers, and I would carefully manipulate Claudia so that I could control the army, my days became even busier than before.

And so spring has ended and summer has begun, and phosphorescent moths known as rinkas have become active.

"Hm...... Is that a type of monster?"

"That's right. This year, we've received reports of increased monster activity in the Monster Forest from the Jugfena royal domain. ......Also, it's not just the magical beasts in the Monster Forest. We must also be careful of the monsters from the Amon Nor Mountains."

"Ahh......"

As Earl Terejia informed me about the reports on monster activity, I could only listen incredulously.

Monsters really do exist in this world.

Since I hadn't heard much about them, I doubted whether they really existed, but it does seem that once in a while monsters would attack people or their livestock. It's always been a topic quite distant from me, but come to think of it, Rashiok's species, the draconis, is also a type of magical beast.

I don't know the exact definition of a magical beast. Nor do I really know the specific differences between insects, animals, humans, and monsters in this world. In the bedtime stories that I'd heard from Mrs. Galton before, magical beasts are considered to be monsters that can use magic, but I've never heard of anything like magic or magical beasts in real life here. In fact, I've never even seen Rashiok using any mysterious powers like being able to breathe fire or control the wind.

However, until I met Rashiok, I'd always thought that draconis were fictional, and I suppose that until this spring, I'd always been a hermit cooped up in my mansion that's never gone anywhere before. Just like magical beasts, magic might really exist as well.

"Come to think of it, I haven't really heard much in detail about the Monster Forest before."

Earl Terejia raised his eyebrow as he looked at me.

"Yes, really. I've always thought it was only a name."

"Didn't Mrs. Galton tell you bedtime stories about monsters and magic every night?"

Earl Terejia seemed to be puzzled as he asked me, but I tilted my head in return. Were bedtime stories really to be believed?

"Yes, I heard them, but I thought they were all made up."

After all, in Mrs. Galton's stories, there were people like sages and paladins, and various paranormal phenomenon that could only be explained by magic. Since as far as I knew, they didn't actually exist, I thought it was fiction. After all, I didn't believe in monsters.

What's more, the new nanny, Mrs. Hortensia, doesn't even tell bedtime stories like Mrs. Galton did. Since I'm still using the common sense from my previous world, it can't be helped that I didn't believe in anything until now.

"I see."

Earl Terejia nodded and made a complicated expression.

"Call Mrs. Marshan over here immediately."

Mrs. Marshan who was brought to the lord's office by Bellway, had some kind of box under her arm.

"I heard that you wanted to see me."