~ Chapter 17 ~

~ Chapter 17 ~⠀

It's funny how things can change so quickly. I mean, just a few days ago my best friend admitted that he loved me and now, this?

"No, wait!"

I pull away from Luke and stare at my feet, feeling a bit awkward and out of place.

"What is it?"

He asks, his cheeks turning bright red.

"Luke, I'm sorry.. I just don't think I'm ready for this yet.."

"Oh.. Ya.. I, uh.. I understand."

The awkwardness between us was nearly unbearable.

"How about we go get ice cream?" I say, trying to brighten the mood.

"Ya, that sounds great! I'll drive."

*************

We pulled into an Arctic Circle parking lot and ordered two large ice cream cones, sat down at a booth and started licking away at the cones.

"So.."

It was obvious that Luke was feeling extremely awkward.

"So.." I say.

"So have you heard about that big race?"

I shake my head.

"Well you see, it's huge. It's a race where all the jockeys at the academy come together and test their skills; they race."

Immediately interested, I smile and throw away my now empty cone.

"I'm listening."

"It's six weeks from today and the winner is known as the best jockey at the academy. For the last eight races the winner is always Jack Sulley. He's.. Real full of himself."

Luke laughs and finishes off his cone.

"Let me guess.. I'll be the only girl, right?"

"That's right."

I sigh. Just great. Being the misfit was turning out to be my thing.

"What about Bear?"

Luke shakes his head.

"The vet said he should be ready to be ridden in a few weeks, who knows. Maybe he'll be Better by then."

"I hope.."

We sit in silence for a few minutes and I stare at my feet. Was this my chance to prove myself worthy of being a jockey? Only one way to find out.

With a smirk on my face and the slightest bit of hope, I look up and narrow my eyes.

"Where do I sign up?