Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

I was confused.

I was completely and utterly confused.

Didn't he say he was just faking all the love he had for me back at the burning house that night? That we were never anything more than just friends?

I opened my mouth to speak but then quickly closed it.

I didn't know what to say.

"What, Charley?" Harry urged, leaning even further in his seat and putting his hands on my knees. "What are you thinking about?"

I shook my head and looked away from him, not knowing what exactly to do with myself right now.

"Tell me." He gently moved my head slightly to where I had to look at him; but I kept my eyes on the ceiling.

"Charley -"

"You're telling me mixed things." I said to him, still not meeting his eyes.

He dropped his hand and I lowered my head, moving it to the side again.

"What do you mean?" He warmly asked.

"That night you told me we were never anything; nothing more than just friends. And now you're telling me that you fell in love with me, which fulfilled your last emotion that you needed to become a human." I explained to him.

He sighed. "I also had to say that. But I didn't mean it."

"Harry, why do you keep saying things you don't mean?" I looked at him now as I felt tears try to push their way down my hot cheeks.

He paused for a moment, and I could tell he was thinking about what he was going to say to me.

Then he spoke in a deep voice.

"So I could keep everyone safe."

My mouth parted slightly, and I was sort of getting the gist of what he was saying.

But not completely.

"Keep talking." I nodded to him, interested in where he was going with this.

He cleared his throat. "Well. . . As I was saying earlier, it's hard to do ghostly things as a human; which is what I am. But my father is a ghost; so he does ghostly things. When he said he was going after whom I assumed was my sister, I knew I had to stop him. But I couldn't, because I'm. . . only human."

"And you needed to be somewhat of a ghost in order to stop him." I interjected confidently. It all seemed to be making sense to me now.

But there was still a piece of the puzzle that was missing.

He nodded. "Yes. You're getting it, Charley."

"But what has that got to do with going and breaking my heart?"

He sighed again. "When a ghost turns into a human, but ends up wanting to be a ghost again, he needs to undo an emotion with the same person he experienced it with. For example, you were the closest person I could reach, so. . ." He trailed off, biting his lip.

"So. . . You had to undo your love you felt with me. In order to turn back into a ghost and go after your father to save your sister." I almost whispered.

I seemed to have been getting this whole scenario easier than I had expected.

And by the look on his face as he stared into my eyes, I could tell I had just solved the whole puzzle as to why Harry had left.

"Yes." He answered me after a long moment of silence.

I slowly nodded in understandment.

I wasn't mad or anything. I was just shocked. Shocked that he did actually love me, and also that he left for the sake of his sister.