Nip it in the Bud (Ep. 17)

Officially changed the rating to Mature. Probably should've done that a couple episodes ago, but in this one Mariah uses some...unladylike language so I thought it best ;-)

Episode Seventeen -- Nip it in the Bud

Once Noah and Tessa are able to bring their reunion kisses to an end Mariah has decided she would rather travel across a bed of steaming hot coals rather than continue to watch. Noah walks into their suite pushing the breakfast laden cart in front of him. Door shut he turns to them, a bright smile on is face, which his girlfriend successfully returns and his sister makes a half-hearted attempt to. Clapping his hands together he claims to have a huge surprise. When Tessa just continues smiling and Mariah stares at him Noah inquires if they're curious to know what it is.

Heart pounding within her chest Tessa glances toward Mariah then nods, inwardly reminding herself to keep smiling, keep pretending that Noah's arrival is the best thing ever. "What's your surprise?"

"I hated that I had to miss your opening for Teriah Champagne and so I did some research and came up with this." A brochure pulled from his back pocket he offers it to Tessa. Although she takes it she doesn't look at it. "You and I," Noah pulls out a smile, "flying to Catalina Island for the next three days. A little romantic getaway. Since it's November the place isn't crawling with tourists yet there's still plenty to do. We could go for a hike, schedule couple massages, rent a boat to go sailing and there's this thing called a zip line tour. Basically you hang from this cable and go soaring through the air high above Descanso Canyon."

Eyes bright and smile broad Noah grasps Tessa's shoulders through the hotel robe. "So what do you say? Let's do this. Mariah can take the private plane back to Wisconsin while you and I take a commercial flight to California. Everything is set. You just need to say yes." When she doesn't immediately respond Noah's eyes shift to his sister. "You don't mind going back by yourself do you? I just think Tessa and I are due for some alone time. Away from Genoa City."

Hoping he buys her smile Mariah nods. "Sure, I get it. No problem, Noah." Eye contact secured with Tessa the fake smile remains pasted on her mouth. "If Catalina Island is what you want you should go for it. Don't worry about me. I'm a big girl who's capable of flying home solo. No big deal." Her heart is breaking. Mariah can imagine cobweb patterned lines running through it much like a shattering window. She aches to curl into a ball and weep, but she can't let on that something is wrong. At least not in front of Noah.

"Mariah, can I talk to you in your bedroom?" Upon her friend nodding Tessa tells Noah that she'll be back soon. However, before she can complete two steps he grabs her hand.

"You're going to California with me, right?" He glances from his girlfriend to his sister and back again. "Is there a problem?"

"No." Tessa quickly shakes her head and squeezes the hand pressed to hers. "No, no problem. I just need to talk to Mariah about something."

"What about Catalina Island? Our flight leaves in two and a half hours."

Throat cleared Tessa quietly says, "We'll make it."

Another smile blooming Noah releases her hand in order to cup her cheek. "Is that a yes?"

Tessa cannot recall the last time she felt so horrible, so guilty saying yes to something that should have been a positive. It should have been wonderful that her boyfriend surprised her and wanted to whisk her away for a romantic vacation, yet the last thing she wants is to accompany him to Catalina Island. Saying no would hurt him. Saying yes would hurt Mariah. She wishes neither has to occur, but a decision has to be made.

"Tessa?"

"Yes."

Noah's smile broadens. "We're going?"

She nods already feeling like she might suffocate on guilt. "Yes, we're going." When he picks her up and twirls her around Tessa does the expected by feigning a squeal of glee. Once returned to her feet she reminds him that she has to speak with Mariah in private.

"Oh sure." Noah points toward the couch. "I'll go wait over there for you two to talk about...whatever. And as hot as you look in that robe," a grin finds his lips, "you should then get dressed and pack your belongings so we can get to the airport."

"Give me half an hour and I'll be ready to go."

**********

Walking into Mariah's bedroom and closing the door she tries not to stare when the redhead discards the robe, which leaves her completely naked. Issuing an inward reminder to herself to concentrate she calls the other woman's name. Although Mariah glances in her direction she doesn't say anything as she rummages through a drawer seconds later pulling out a pair of underwear. Slipping them on she next grabs a bra.

"Mariah..."

"Say something other than my name." A scowl forming she wraps the bra around her upper body and secures its tiny hooks. "What? Are my tits distracting you? The ass you enjoyed slapping earlier? By the way, thanks for making it so very damn clear that last night was purely about sex. You were horny and I was there."

"No. How could you even..." Tessa shakes her head while moving toward her, stopping when Mariah's scowl deepens. She understands. It hurts but she understands that her lover isn't currently ready to be touched by or too close to her. "No, Mariah, that couldn't be further from the truth."

"Truth?" Chuckling without her funnybone being activated, Mariah slides thin straps onto her shoulders. "You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on your ass."

"I love you."

Mariah spends the next five seconds staring at her before returning her attention to the dresser. A pair of pants and a shirt selected she begins to put them on starting with the pants. "You say you love me yet you're about to take a romantic vacation with my brother after having spent the night fucking me. I'm not feeling very loved, Tessa. Can't totally blame you though 'cause you did warn me. What did you say?" Peering toward the ceiling she pretends to think. "Oh yes. 'Tonight you're mine and I'm all yours'. That was the clue that it was a one time thing. Now you're back to being Noah's."

Trembling hands shoved into the robe's pockets, Tessa regards her through watery eyes. "Sweetheart--"

Mariah slams a drawer shut. "Do...not...call me that." If words could magically turn into knives Tessa would be in dire need of stitches in this moment.

"Mariah, just because Noah is in the picture doesn't mean you and I have to be over." Based on the look cast her way Tessa ponders putting more distance between them. However, she's unable to since her feet are frozen to the floor. At least they feel like they are.

"Oh, I see." Shirt halfway buttoned, she pauses hands at her sides balled into fists. "You're not trying to break things off with me. Not trying to throw the sex in the vault." A glacial smile reaches her mouth. "You just want me to be your lesbian mistress."

"Listen to--"

"How long would this go on, hm?" Arms folded over her chest Mariah cocks her head to the side. "Until you're tired of fucking me? Until Noah knocks you up or proposes?"

Fear and anguish course through her while tears race down her cheeks. "Mariah, I want to be with you," she whispers.

"Just not enough to tell Noah." Though there isn't a drop of moisture on her face Mariah knows tears are inevitable. However, she is determined not to have Tessa as a witness to them. "I realize we've already cheated, but I refuse to betray my brother any further by carrying on a full-fledged affair."

Somehow her feet unthaw and Tessa dares to take a couple steps toward her. "Mariah, I do love you. Only you."

"So you've said."

"You don't believe me?"

Mariah resumes buttoning her shirt before she responds. "What I believe is you don't love me enough to choose me." When her voice cracks toward the end of her sentence she decides she has to leave before it's too late. Before she breaks down in front of her now ex-lover and as far as she is concerned ex-friend. "Enjoy your trip." Passing by without brushing her, Mariah hurries toward the door, opens it and walks out ignoring her name being called.