Excuse My French (Ep. 8)

Episode Eight -- Excuse My French

"Kiss?" Abby blurts out, reminding herself to keep her words less than two syllables long. "Why would you send them off to kiss each--to kiss?"

Hilary shrugs, her smile persisting. "Because we're playing Truth or Dare and Mariah chose dare. I figured that would be an interesting one. Unless," she looks toward Mariah amused by the anxiousness written upon her face, "she doesn't have the girly cojones to go through with it."

Mariah stands up and punches her. At least in a two second long fantasy she does. "Absolutely nothing wrong with my girly cojones, Hilary," she says, voice strong and courageous unlike her insides.

"Really?" Elbows placed upon the table, Hilary leans forward, fingers clasped underneath her chin as she studies Mariah. "Prove it. Take Tessa into the office and don't come out until you're wearing her lipstick."

"How long do I have?"

"As long as it takes. We'll wait."

Chelsea points toward various glasses then the bar. "And while we do so I volunteer to make another round of martinis." Those not partaking in the current dare in full agreement Chelsea stands up and heads toward the bar to get started.

Mariah is also about to rise when a clearing throat prompts her to stay seated. Looking toward Tessa her cheeks begin to heat up as it occurs to her that she hadn't inquired if her friend would go along with the dare. Perhaps she intended to decline which meant Hilary could choose another dare to torture her with. Maybe she'll dare me to find a book of matches and set myself on fire instead of Tessa's lips doing so.

"Oh! Tessa, would you...be willing...um--"

"To lock lips with you until you're wearing Sinfully Scarlet?"

Hilary chuckles. "Sounds like an appropriate nickname for you, Mariah."

Although Mariah wants to fantasy punch her again she's too focused on Tessa to do so. It's so difficult to read her expression. She doesn't look angry, anxious or interested. "Tessa, would you help me with my dare?" The knot in her stomach loosens the moment her friend softly smiles and nods.

"Thank you for asking." A wink given Tessa stands up, crooks a finger at Mariah and walks away from the table all eyes on her including those belonging to the next temporary bartender making a batch of martinis.

Lily glances between the two participants, one of whom is still occupying her chair as she gazes toward Tessa's retreating back. Face filled with curiosity she almost smiles. "You're really going through with this? Going to kiss your friend? A woman?"

Before she can answer Abby decides to toss in her two cents. "Your broth--bro's wo--girl?" She groans. This one syllable dare is a pain in the ass.

Mariah tears her eyes away from Tessa who is waiting at the other side of the room near the hallway to regard the pair. "Yes," she replies in an unintentional whisper.

Lily's smile blossoms and despite Noah being her nephew Abby finds that smile contagious. "Then why are you still sitting here with us? Sinfully Scarlet lipstick awaits your mouth. Go get it done."

Abby jabs a thumb in Lily's direction. "What she said."

A deep breath pulled into her lungs Mariah stands and walks with much determination toward her seemingly patient friend. She has to laugh when Chelsea salutes her as she walks by.

No words spoken, they walk the hall side by side, each woman's heart unbeknownst to the other pounding. Stopping before Nick's office Mariah opens the door, feels the wall for the lightswitch then indicates for Tessa to enter first. Following, she shuts the door and leans against, watching Tessa stop toward the middle of the room and turn to face her.