Come At Me, Bro (Ep. 26)

Episode Twenty-Six -- Come At Me, Bro

Occupying the third pew in a row of ten inside the hospital chapel Mariah stares toward the stained glass artwork encompassing the wall straight ahead. It's such a tranquil scene consisting of a clear blue sky, golden sun with shining rays, majestic mountains with a sparkling river flowing between and an array of animals frolicking in the greenest grass. So tranquil and yet she is anything but. However, anyone observing her in this moment wouldn't be capable of discerning just how chaotic her thoughts and feelings are. Mariah's expression reveals next to nothing yet within a time bomb ticks.

A sigh pushed through her lips Mariah looks down at her hands covered with white bandaging including the fingers stopping just above the knuckles. They're throbbing and now she is second guessing her decision to decline the strong pain medication the ER doctor intended to prescribe. She hadn't wanted it thinking it might dull her senses, but perhaps that would come in handy. She's feeling too much and the thoughts are trampling over one another in their quest to be the main focus of her attention.

Vision blurring Mariah hurriedly blinks back the tears and swallows around the thick lump within her throat. Crying is not an option. She is afraid if she starts she won't be able to stop until dehydrated from shedding so many. She wants to cry, to scream, break Noah's other leg, to hold Tessa and never let her go and to run far away from the pain. Running away is impossible though. She couldn't flee it because it was inside her. Inescapable.

"Can't leave you alone for a minute."

Gaze shifting to the left Mariah discovers Hilary standing next to her pew. When she asks if she may sit beside her Mariah nods without comment. Over a full minute passes without speech then Hilary inquires how she feels.

"Don't ask," Mariah responds in a near whisper.

"Too late. Already did so you might as well answer." When Mariah turns to regard her she has a difficult time maintaining eye contact as her employee and semi-friend appears so haunted as though she alone carries the weight of the world.

"Are you familiar with that saying shit warmed over?"

Hilary nods. "I am."

"I wish I felt like that." Asked if there is anything she wants it's Mariah's turn to nod as she resumes focusing on the stained glass artwork. "Thanks for coming to the hospital and checking up on me but you may go now." Though there is a chill to her voice the suggestion doesn't exactly sound impolite. More akin to robotic as is her posture sitting ramrod straight with bandaged hands resting upon jean covered knees.

A set of dark brows shift upward. "I'm dismissed?"

Continuing to stare ahead Mariah whispers, "Just want to be alone."

"Why?" Hilary waits for the robotic redhead to reply, but her lips are firmly pressed together. She contemplates putting an arm around those stiff shoulders but chooses not to suspecting the action might be rebuffed. "Mariah, your family is here." Briefly talking with Sharon upon arriving at the hospital she seemed so worried about her daughter when explaining that she fled to the chapel.

"My family includes Noah. I can't deal with him right now."

"Do they know what he's been up to? Didn't get the impression your mother was aware."

"I haven't revealed anything and very much doubt he has either."

"Are you going to?"

Mariah shrugs and lifts a hand intending to run her fingers through her hair, but then remembers the bandaging and drops it. "I dunno. Outing Noah isn't my focus right now. Just need Tessa and the baby to be all right, but..."