Chapter 17~Drake

I've never told anyone what happened in my past. Even Martin only knows bits and pieces. I was scared that Aria wouldn't want to be with me anymore, but it was a risk I had to take. I had too many secrets, and I felt like I was blindsiding Aria. I couldn't do that her.

Aria didn't leave me though. She wasn't even angry. All I could see in her expression was love and care, two things my life was devoid of until she came. Then Aria said something. She will never know what those words meant to me. She said she could be my family. In that moment I felt like I was no longer drifting blindly around the world just waiting for something to happen.

I couldn't help the burst of emotions. I kissed her like I've never kissed her before. She responded back immediately and I felt all the love she had for me but could never adequately express.

It's crazy. I don't know anything about love. I don't know how it works or what I'm supposed to do with it. I'm maneuvering through unknown waters. But being with Aria I'm all but positive that's what love is. What she makes me feel is indescribable. I feel safe with her. She woke me up from the mindless sleep I was in.

Then kissing her in my room I realized I was in love with this girl. The one who drove me insane from the moment I met her and is still driving me insane but for a whole different reason. With Aria, nothing is for sure. She's unpredictable. She's funny, quirky, beautiful, caring, and for me, absolutely perfect.

I kiss Aria once more and all of a sudden I hear a sound that could only be a whale mating call or Aria's stomach. She smiles sheepishly against my lips.

"I think I'm hungry," she whispers.

I glance at the clock. No wonder she's hungry. It's 9:37. Suddenly I shoot up in bed. I need to take Aria home! Her dad was expecting her over three hours ago.

"It's fine," Aria says calmly. She smiles knowingly at me. "I figured I would be here a while so I told my dad I was staying over at Elena's. No need to panic."

I sigh in relief. I don't need Aria's dad coming after me too. I grab Aria's hand and pull her up. "You're the best. Come on let's eat."

Aria and I leave my room hand in hand. Talking to her actually made me feel a million times better. I was actually showing her my true self, or at least as much of my true self as I could, and she accepted me just the same. I didn't realize how tiring it was to put up a constant shield. It feels like a huge load has been lifted off my shoulders.

When we enter the living room Martin is sitting on the couch watching a movie.

"What happened to video games?" Aria asks.

Martin turns towards us and smiles when he sees us holding hands. "I was too good so it got boring."

Aria scoffs and goes to the kitchen as she searches for food. She frowns as she looks into the fridge. I hug her from behind and peek over her shoulder. There's nothing inside but milk, juice, and Chinese takeout.

"The assortment inside your fridge is quite depressing," Aria states. She closes it and walks over to the pantry.

"I don't think you'll find much there either," I call out.

Aria ignores me though and continues to rummage through the mostly empty shelves. I sit down at the table and watch her, curious at what she'll come up with. After a couple minutes she sets some pasta and spaghetti sauce on the table.

"I didn't know you could cook pasta," Martin calls from the living room.

"I can't," I tell him. "You bought this when you thought I had cooking abilities."