Chapter II

II - In an Alien Land!

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Chandigarh International Airport was what it read as soon as Aman stepped his feet on the Indian soil for the first time in his life. The brightly shining sun made him crinkle his eyes and he took out his sunglasses from his pocket, wearing them. He looked at his dad beside him whose happiness knew no bounds today. It had been a long, long time since he last saw his own people, walked on his own soil and breathed his own air. Dragging his trolley bag with one hand and adjusting his headphones around his neck, he walked further, following wherever his dad took him. After collecting their luggage and completing the immigration process, they walked out of the exit terminal together. As soon as Aman took his first breath, the only thing he could inhale was the smoke from the smoke belching vehicles stuck in heavy traffic just outside the airport. The continuous peeping of the horns deafened him and the smoke from the silencers left him gasping for a whiff of fresh air. He began coughing badly and sat down, taking a sip of water from his bottle. On the other hand, his dad was busy in sniffing the air as if there was some flowery scent in it. The smoke and pollutants made him want to puke. He already hated being here. He was not supposed to be here but who could have fought his dad? His own best friend only who also ditched him and changed sides.

"Aman!" He heard his dad calling him. He got up from the bench and went to him.

"Yes dad? Has the driver arrived?" He asked hopefully.

"O which driver? Help me find a cab quickly. I can't stand any more."

He looked at him, horrified. "Don't tell me that you haven't booked a cab already." 

"Main kithon karni si?" [Where could I have booked from?] 

"Dad!" He whined like a two year old. "What have you done?"

He stood there signalling for a cab as his dad sat down to catch his breath. After a wait of quarter of an hour, a cab stopped.

"Saab, kidhar jana hai apko?" [Where do you want to go, Sir?]

"Ambala." His dad came there quickly.
"How much time it will take?"

"Aik Ghanta Saab!" [1 hour, sir!] The driver replied.

"Paise kitne lo ge?" [How much money will you take?] His dad started bargaining.

"Saab, aap gaadi main toh baitho." [Sir, you sit in the car first.] The driver replied.

"Nahi! Pehle btao. Phir tum log baad mai bohat zyada mangtey ho." [No. You tell first. Otherwise, you guys demand a lot of money later.] His dad argued.

Aman, who was already exhausted from the long flight and now this silly argument, finally yelled exasperatedly. "Roy, take my money. Just get in the damn car already."

"Okay Puttar jee. [Son]. Calm down."

The driver finally loaded their luggage in the trunk. Aman sat at the back seat while his dad joined the driver at the passenger seat. Aman threw his head back at the head rest and closed his eyes, shutting off his dad who was continuously talking to the driver and sharing his stories which even Aman didn't know of. He plugged his headphones and dozed off into his own world. The journey seemed like five minutes to Aman who had slept away the entire way. He woke up rubbing his eyes and stretched out his arms. He stepped out of the cab and straightened himself. The car was too uncomfortable for him as his legs were very long and he had a hard time fitting them inside for an hour in the same uncomfortable posture.