Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI - I will be there.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

A week had passed since that day and neither Aman nor Tisha talked to each other. Aman hadn't talked to his dad about this even. He wanted the month to pass quickly so that he could go back to his routine. He now missed everything, his room, his bed, his study table, his books and novels, the comfortable silence of his home, his dad and him being around each other always, his best friend, Rahul and his Amsterdam. Punjab was never meant to be his. His life was in Amsterdam and all this felt like a bad dream, he had just woken up from.

He was always quiet and silent. He didn't talk to anybody. He always remained confined to his phone and room. He always maintained a distance from Tisha and avoided going anywhere she was supposed to be. He couldn't face her after that. It felt like everybody was laughing at his misery, his broken heart. On the other hand, the guilt of breaking a heart as pure as Aman's was eating Tisha alive. She couldn't face him. She wasn't that brave and she wouldn't be even in a million years. Both of them maintained the necessary distance and avoided each other as best as they could. It felt like they were total strangers who never knew or talked to each other. One person was observing all this and was looking for  a single chance to make it right. Tisha and Aman who never left each other's side for a split second in the past one and a half month were worse than strangers at that moment. The ones mingling like monkeys always were grown up adults with heavily broken hearts in a span of just one week. It's the ultimate and universal truth - Love ruins everything.

Things continued to be heated between them and tensions continued to be built when one fine evening Aman heard some shuffling in the courtyard. He tried to ignore it but then the voices grew louder. He peeped outside to see the entire village gathered in the courtyard. Something serious was going on. He silently climbed down the stairs and mixed among the sea of people gathered there to witness the drama.

Tisha's dad was sitting at the head chair, waiting for Tisha to arrive and the interrogation to start. He properly set his moustache with his hand and set his turban properly on his head. Aman could already sense danger from that action. He was preparing himself for any kind of scenario. Tisha had told him about such scenes taking place. His eyes roamed around to look for his dad just like a lost child wanders in search of his parents in the middle of nowhere. He found him standing in one corner and awaiting the drama about to take place. Nobody had a clue but everybody was gathered to see it as if they were getting paid for it. Poking noses in somebody's else business was their favourite hobby. Aman didn't like these traditions one bit.

Soon Tisha arrived from her room upstairs, skipping two steps on her way, her long hair bouncing on her shoulders as she descended. For a moment, Aman was lost in her. She was the same Tisha who was his best friend, with whom he got the best memories of his life, with whom he fell in love and the same Tisha who broke his heart. But still, he missed her. Damn, he missed her like hell and he could've sworn on anything.  He just wanted to take her in his arms right at that moment and never leave her. He wanted to protect her from all possible dangers.

His trance was broken by her soft voice. It seemed like he had heard it after ages. The same voice that used to call him every single day.

"Ji Papa?" She spoke immediately as she stood in front of him, unaware of the situation that awaited her. She looked around with furrowed eyebrows trying to figure out why the entire house and the random villagers even were standing there. She spotted Aman at the back of the crowd with his arms folded, who gave her a grim look. She raised her eyebrow at him and he just looked away.