Chapter XXIII

Chapter XXIII - Goodbye, my love.

After Tisha was done freshening up, she grabbed the first aid box and rushed towards Aman's room. Thankfully, it was late at night and everybody was asleep and nobody questioned them. She went inside his room and locked it. Aman was still in the shower. She waited for him and settled on the bed. He came out rubbing his hair with a towel.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, surprised. He thought she would have slept after going through such a trauma.

"No questions. Sit here." She spoke and patted the place beside her. He settled beside her as she opened the box.

"Show me where it hurts." She told him. He looked at her for a while before pulling the strands of hair on his forehead back and showing her the wound. She leaned forward and planted her lips on his forehead. She then applied the ointment.

"And?"

He pointed to his cheek. She kissed there and did the same. After she had repeated the process on his face, his arms and his hand, she finally asked, "Where else?"

And he pointed towards his heart, staring intensely at her. Her eyes watered as she looked at him directly this time.

"How much?" She asked through her tears, sniffing.

"More than I can explain through my words. More than what I have ever felt in my life." He whispered. She couldn't take it anymore so she got up to leave but he held her wrist.

"Stay!" It was almost a deja-vu moment for him.

She settled back beside him. "Tum theek ho?" [Are you alright?] He asked cupping her face in his warm hands, referring to the incident. She just nodded back.

"Tum theek ho?" [Are you alright?] She asked stressing on the first word.

"Yes." He just gave a one word answer.

"Tisha, I've something to tell you. I had promised you that I would do everything to make you happy. To make you end up with the person you love. Your sister couldn't live her love but I promised you that I wouldn't let that happen with you. I have fulfilled my promise. Now before going back, I want you to promise me something."

"Where are you going?" She asked, suddenly. It seemed like her heart will stop if Aman went away. But it was true. It was about to end. Everything was about to finish. Aman was going back.

"Home. Amsterdam." He chuckled. "I was supposed to return one day. Right?"

"Aman." She whispered. She couldn't say anything further. She wasn't able to accept it but she had to. She was forced to accept that she had to live the rest of her life without Aman being anywhere near her.

"Promise me something." He told her. She just looked at him silently. She didn't want to talk. She just wanted to be with him, wrapped in his arms.

"You will never cry and you'll never bend to any kind of pressure. You will always fight for yourself and for the right. You will always stay happy and you'll enjoy your life ahead."

She shook her head. "Tisha, I fulfilled my promise. This is the only thing I want in return."

Aman, you didn't fulfill your promise. You didn't let me marry the love of my life. She wanted to say but couldn't. And so I wouldn't fulfill my promise to you. For I will always cry when I will remember you and my heart will always break imagining what we could have been but never became. I will always bend in front of you for you have shown me the greatest form of love. You have shown me what it's like to love someone in the purest form. I will not fight with myself when your memories haunt me for they are precious and I will cherish them forever.