Prologue

September 8th, 1983.

Jane looked at the '011' on her left arm. She sighed, thinking about when Dr Brenner would do tests and experiments on her. Her adopted father, Jim Hopper, grabbed her arm. "Jane, everything will be okay! Anyway, it's a chance to meet new people, make friends and grow up! You can't get any younger, so you might as well grow up while you have the chance!" Jane smiled at him. He always knew what to say to make her okay, it was one of those 'Dad Powers' that he had. She looked at herself in the passenger seat's mirror and breathed out. It was a new start, and she knew it would work out for her in the end.

8:36am

Mike was with Dustin, Lucas and Max in the school hall, when their principal's voice boomed over the PA system. "Students of Hawkins Middle, please report to the football field for a special assembly in honour of Will Byers." Fortunately, they were saved from Troy as they were told to go as Troy started to saunter over to the four of them. They rushed off, not only to get away from Troy, but because Will was their best friend and they were sad he was missing; like a piece of every one of them was missing.

During this assembly, Troy and his friend was being stupid and mimicking their principal's voice when they said something about Will. Mike looked over, and heard a voice say "mouth breather". He turned to see it was Lucas, and couldn't stop getting the feeling that their was another piece of him missing, but he just couldn't place it.

Jane looked out the window to see they had arrived. Now they had arrived, she had a feeling as if people would make fun of her for her shaved head, or maybe because she looked different to everyone else. Or maybe the fact that she was wearing dungarees and ankle boots. Whatever it was, she knew they would think she was weird. "Jane, come on! Let me get your bag!" He turned to grab it but it flew into her hands. "The advantages of having powers!" Jane giggled before strutting confidently to the entrance. She was now excited, and her jitters had disappeared. Her mind was like a rollercoaster; scared to confident, angry to happy. She was a mess of changing emotions without warning. Maybe that was the fascinating thing about her; her unpredictability, or maybe it was the powers. Either way, she was a very interesting girl.

She walked inside, seeing no one, but then remembered that the receptionist, Mrs Harbour, told her to come at 8:35 because that way she would get a tour without all the people around as they were in the assembly for Will. She bounced off towards the reception, like a ball rolling around. Mrs Harbour was writing paperwork, but immediately got up when Jane came in. "Miss Hopper, you came at the right time! Let's get going, the assembly will finish soon!" Mrs Harbour smiled. Jane smiled back before following her.

Mike and Dustin were staring at Troy the whole time, even though they were listening. Troy was being super annoying, and Mike was seething. He didn't think it was funny, even if it wasn't his friend who was missing. "Oh, Will is very important! Oh, he's special!" Troy said in a silly voice. His friend laughed and said "Yeah, Special Needs!" Mike knew exactly what he's gonna do when the assembly is over, and that is hit him. He didn't care if he got into trouble, he could tell the teacher all the things Troy had done and he'd get into trouble.

a/n she goes by jane in this part but will be called eleven/el in future chapters.