APPOINTED

"Hero of Hyrule, chosen by the sword that seals the darkness, you have shown unflinching bravery and skill in the face of darkness and adversity."

The princess spoke with an impatient and reluctant tone as she addressed the knight who knelt before of her. His head was bowed, his eyes closed. One forearm rested on his knee while he fingers of his other hand grazed the stone beneath him. As the princess continued, the hand she held out in front of her trembled.

"And you have proven yourself worthy of the blessings of the Goddess Hylia. Whether skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight, the sacred blade is forever bound to the soul of the Hero. We pray for your protection and we hope that- that the two of you will grow stronger together, as one."

She lowered her trembling hand, closed her eyes and sighed heavily. There was a moment of hesitation, then she lifted her arm once more, facing her palm toward him and continued her practiced speech.

The four Champions stood to the side. They watched with an uncertain and slightly uncomfortable countenance. Mipha kept her shy eyes on the Hero and friend, Link. She worried what becoming the appointed knight to the princess of Hyrule would mean for him. Danger, surely. Revali's beak was turned upward in disapproval, his wings crossed over his chest. Daruk was beginning to feel insecure as he listened to the reluctance in the Princess's voice. He brought a boulder-sized hand to his chin thoughtfully. Urbosa, a hand on one popped hip, watched  Princess Zelda with sympathy. Her eyebrows were pulled down and together.

"Gee, this is uplifting," Daruk mumbled to the other Champions, rubbing the back of his head. "She's making it sound like we've already lost."

"Wasn't this your idea?" Revali rolled his eyes and threw a wing in the air as he spoke. "You're the one who wanted to designate the appointed knight with all the ceremonial pomp, grandeur and nonsense we could muster. If you ask me, the whole thing does seem to be overkill. I think I'm on the same page as the princess regarding this boy."

Urbosa turned to Revali. "Oh, give it a rest. That 'boy' is a living reminder of her own failures. Well, at least that's how the princess sees him."

Princess Zelda's speech paused again as she looked away from the Hero. The draping sleeves of her dress swayed in the warm breeze. She pulled her hand back slightly and curled her fingers into a loose fist, then lowered her arm again and looked back to her new appointed knight with melancholy eyes.

The knight waited patiently for the princess to continue. He did not open his eyes as the silence drew out.