GROUNDED

The Hero stood on the flight deck in Rito Village, observing the Divine Beast Vah Medoh circling protectively above. A giant mechanical bird within the vast, blue sky. Patchy, white clouds floated, carefree. He could hear the Rito children playing off in the distance. Their childish laughter broke through the sound of the wind whipping around the giant, towering boulder the village had been constructed around.

Suddenly, an updraft of wind spiraled just off the front of the flight deck and the Hero fought to keep his balance. He planted his feet firmly and held his arms out slightly as Revali spun up from somewhere below, a tornado of wind and feathers. He expanded his great winds and lowered himself to perch on the railing of the deck in front of the Hero. Revali crossed his wings and smirked down at the Hero arrogantly.

"Impressive, I know," Revali sighed. "Very few can achieve a mastery of the sky. Yet I have made an art of creating an updraft that allows me to soar. It's considered to be quite the masterpiece of aerial techniques, even among the Rito. With proper utilization of my superior skills, I see no reason why we could not easily dispense with Ganon."

"It will take much more than a series of aerial techniques to take Ganon down, Revali," Link uttered mildly.

Revali frowned. It was the first time he'd ever heard the boy speak. And he used his first words to him to disparage him? Revali felt the sharp sting of anger in his chest. He hopped down from his perch and held his wings behind his back. He circled Link, then rested a wing against the Hero's back.

"Ah, but let's not -pardon me for being so blunt- let's not forget the fact that I am the most skilled archer of all the Rito." He glanced at Link with distaste and paced away again. His talons clicked against the wooden deck. "Yet despite these truths, it seems that I have been tapped to merely assist you. All because you happen to have that little darkness-sealing sword on your back. I mean, it's just... asinine."

Revali was obviously jealous, Link thought. Although he wanted nothing more than to explain to Revali that his path had been chosen for him and that he had no say in the matter, he kept his mouth closed into a tight line.

"Unless... you think you can prove me wrong? Maybe we should just settle this one on one? But where?" Revali paused, a feather to his chin in faux contemplation. "Oh, I know! How about up there?" He gestured to the Divine Beast soaring high above. The sunlight glinted off a mechanical wing.

Link switched his weight from one foot to the other, suppressing his indignation.

Revali laughed. It was a belittling sound. "You must pardon me. I forgot you have no way of making it up to that Divine Beast on your own."

He spread his wings and with a spinning motion, took flight while Link stepped back, raising an arm to his face as protection against the sudden onslaught of wind. Revali paused long enough to look down at Link below and shout one last snide comment:

"Good luck sealing the darkness!"