DESPERATE

The sound of cascading water was peaceful in the spring's alcove, but the worsening stress of Zelda's responsibility overpowered the serenity. She stood just about waist deep in the cold spring water with her head bowed and her hands clasped together at her nose. Link stood near the entrance, guarding of course, but he peeked over his shoulder every once in a while to look at her. Her white dress pooled out gracefully behind her and her golden bracelets clicked together as she lowered her hands.

"I come seeking help regarding this power that has been handed down over time. Prayer will awaken my power to seal Ganon away.... Or so I've been told all my life. And yet, Grandmother heard them- the voices from the spirit realm. And Mother said her own power would develop within me. But I don't hear... or feel anything! Father has told me time and time again. He always says, 'Quit wasting your time playing at being a scholar!' Curse you..." Zelda's voice broke on the last sentence as she threw her fists into the water at her sides. "I've spent every day of my life dedicated to praying, I've pleaded to the spirits tied to the ancient gods, and still the holy powers have proven deaf to my devotion."

Link turned slowly to see her with her head down and her arms wrapped around herself tightly. It was too much pressure. His heart ached for her. He stepped closer to the edge of the pool of spring water.

"Please just tell me," Zelda whispered, her voice shaking. "What is it?... What's wrong with me?!"

Link returned his sword to his back and without much thought, stepped into the cold waters of the Spring of Power. He waded over to Zelda, who was weeping into her quaking hands, and quickly wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"Nothing's wrong with you," he murmured into her hair.

She turned to face him. "My mother used to tell me that all would be well in the end, that I could do anything. But she was wrong. No matter how I try or how much time passes... the sealing power evades me. If it is my birthright, why has it not come to me?"

"I don't know, Zelda," he uttered helplessly, wiping the tears from her cheeks with his thumb. "I don't know. There must be something we're missing."

She placed her wet hands on either side of his face and leaned in, quickly pressing her cold lips against his. There was a moment, after she pulled away and looked into his eyes, where he looked utterly astonished, but he recovered posthaste and closed the distance between them once more. He cradled her head in his hands and kissed her ardently. Their skin suddenly didn't feel so cold. She eagerly returned his affection, pressing herself firmly against him, until they reluctantly pulled away from each other, breathless.

Link rested his forehead against hers and traced his thumb along her trembling lower lip. "We've been here much too long. You're freezing."

He swept her effortlessly into his arms and carried her to where their horses stood waiting.