REBUKED

Link followed Zelda as she paced along the stone bridge that connected her study to the rest of the castle. She walked to the edge and peeked over, surveying with undivided curiosity a Guardian that the people of Hyrule were studying below. Her hair- held away from her face with her crown that she never wore on surveys- fell around her shoulders and down to her waist. She smiled at the mechanical being proudly.

"Remarkable," she murmured.

"Phenomenal," Link agreed although his eyes were fixed on her rather than the Guardian below.

"We're at a point now where we can actually control them. At the current rate, we'll soon know all we need to know about the Guardians and the Divine Beasts!" She faced Link, eyes gleaming. "And should Ganon ever show itself again, we'll be well positioned to defend ourselves."

He smiled at her, feeling a swelling sense of pride in his chest. So she couldn't harness the power. What did that matter? She'd already done so much for the cause. He didn't expect any more from her.

"What are you doing out here, Zelda?"

Link's smile faded as he looked past her to see the King approaching. Zelda spun on her heels in surprise while Link quickly dropped to one knee, rested his forearm against the other and bowed his head to avert his eyes from the King's displeased expression.

"I..." Zelda began nervously, then clenched her fists and continued more firmly, "I was assessing the results of the experiment with the Guardians. These pieces of ancient technology could be quite useful against the-"

"I know that," the King interrupted sternly. "They're essential to Hyrule's future and our research demands that we keep a close eye on them. However, as the princess, you currently have a crucial unfulfilled responsibility to your kingdom." A small, defeated breath escaped from Zelda's lips as she looked toward her feet with furrowed eyebrows. "Let me ask you once more. When will you stop treating this as some sort of childish game?"

"I'm doing everything I can," Zelda answered, struggling to keep her voice even and patient while Link fought the urge to reach for her hand that was clenched so tightly that her knuckles were turning white. He wouldn't dare do something like that. Especially not in front of the King and especially not when the King was so disgruntled. "I'll have you know that I just recently returned from the Spring of Courage where I offered every ounce of my prayers to the Goddess-"

"And now you are here wasting your time. You need to be dedicating every moment you have to your training." The King waved a hand impatiently at her. "You must be single-minded in unlocking the power that will seal Calamity Ganon away."

She looked at him in disbelief. "I already am. Don't you see? There's nothing more I can do! My hope... my hope is that you... that you'll allow me to contribute here in whatever way I  can."

"No more excuses, Zelda! Stop running away from your duty. As the King, I forbid you to have anything to do with these machines from this moment on and command you to focus on your training." He turned and paced toward the edge of the bridge, his expression tired now. "Do you know how the gossip mongers refer to you? They are out there at this moment whispering amongst themselves that you are the heir to a throne of nothing. Nothing but failure."

Zelda stared at her feet, her eyes glassy, and let out a pained gasp at her father's words.

"It is woven into your destiny that you prove them wrong," the King continued. "Do you understand?"

"Yes. I understand."