SACRIFICE

Even with the rain, fire had caught the grass around the fallen Guardians. The ruins of Fort Hateno were crawling with them. Link took down many, but at a price. His wounds were plentiful and painful, causing him to slow. His sword was battered like his body and his spirit. This was helpless. He was beginning to understand that now. He knelt in the grass, arms and legs quaking. Zelda stood behind him, one of her hands on his shoulder, the other resting on his back.

"Link, save yourself," she told him hurriedly. "Go!"

"I'm not leaving you," he replied weakly, appalled that she would even suggest something like that. Regardless of how hopeless it was, he would never leave her.

"I'll be fine," she said in a broken voice that didn't reassure him in the slightest. "Don't worry about me. Run!"

For the first time, the knight disregarded his princess's orders. He pushed himself to his feet and staggered toward the impending Guardian. It stood tall above them, its eye fixated on Link. Its targeting beam centres on his head.

"No!" Zelda cried as threw herself in front of Link, raising a hand to their foe.

From it suddenly emitted a bright yellow light and the Triforce glowed on the back of her hand. The light spread, seeming to explode around them to create a giant dome of brilliant yellow. In an instant, every Guardian across Hyrule fell simultaneously.

Zelda stared at her hand in shock. "Was... was that? The power."

Link collapsed behind her and she turned to see him lying in the mud, a hand still wrapped around the Master Sword's handle.

"No. No!" She rushed to him, falling to her knees beside him. "Link, get up!"

With what little strength he had left, he rolled closer to her so that she could hold him in her arms. He coughed and she was alarmed to see blood trickle from the corner of his mouth.

"You're going to be just fine," she told him.

He looked up at her then. "You did it, Zelda. The power. You found the thing."

She smiled down at him, fighting tears. "It was you."

He lifted his hand to her face, wiping away what was either a tear or rain on her cheek, then his hand dropped. He was still.

She rested her head against his chest and wept as the rain continued to fall around them. She stayed like that for some time until she noticed the Master Sword pulsing a blue light.

"The sword?" She whispered. "So he can... he can still be saved?"

"Princess!" Someone called in the distance. Two Hateno men came bounding toward her. "Princess. Are you alright?"

"Take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection," she ordered. "If you don't get him there immediately we are going to lose him forever. Is that clear? So make haste and go! His life is in your hands."

(Author's note: I'll try to get the last little bit published asap! Thanks for reading!! Feel free to share your thoughts!)