FORGIVEN

The sun blazed on the edge of the horizon, casting an array of pastel colors into the evening sky. Nearby, the horses grazed insouciantly, tethered to a post protruding from the ruins of the stone structure they took shelter in. They were not far from a stable, but Zelda had insisted on stopping to eat.

They ate silently, like they did most things, then waited as the fire dwindled.

"That meal was delicious, thank you," Zelda said with a smile from beside Link."You really are quite the cook."

He nodded, giving a small, courteous smile in return. He liked the way the glowing embers illuminated her face. It made her skin look warm and soft.

"All this time we've spent together and I've heard you utter barely one sentence," she whispered. Link eyed her curiously as she wrung her slender fingers together. "You prove to be a man of few words. I was wondering... why that is?"

Not once had she made an effort to talk to him, so he found himself taken aback. Though, he saw this as an opportunity to begin to minimize the void that had grown between them. If he refused to acknowledge this moment, it would pass and could possibly be lost forever.

"It's not easy for me to say," Link sighed. "There is so much at stake. And with so many eyes upon me, I feel it necessary to stay strong and silently bear any burden. I suppose it's caused me to stop outwardly expressing any thoughts or feelings. Its just easier this way."

"I must apologize to you, Link. All that has transpired between us..." Zelda paused, taking a short moment to ponder how she wanted to continue. She'd always believed him to be simply a gifted person who had never faced a day of hardship. How wrong she'd been. "Everyone has struggles that go unseen by the world... I was so absorbed with my own problems, I failed to see yours. Forgive me."

"Of course, Princess," he told her earnestly. "Thank you."

She watched him quietly until the fire burned out. She wished to talk to him more and to see what lay beneath those calm waters, to hear him speak freely and openly. She thought with time, that perhaps she, too, would be able to bare her soul to him and share the demons that have plagued her all these years.