UNDERSTANDING

Divine Beast Vah Naboris was still in the night. Its feet settled deep into the sand beneath its great weight and the desert wind whistled though its vacant, stone corridors.

Urbosa sat on a collection of blankets and pillows with Princess Zelda leaning against her, asleep. With night came the desert chill and Urbosa had started a small fire beside them on the balcony. She overlooked the desert, refusing to move so that Zelda could remain undisturbed.

Link approached quietly from behind them, but not too quietly so that Urbosa wouldn't hear his arrival. She turned her head slightly as he drew closer, her large, golden earrings clinking against her necklace, then looked away.

"Well, you certainly got here fast," she said, her voice husky and soft, breaking the silence that encased them. "I should have expected as much from the princess's own appointed knight."

Link's eyes settled on the sleeping princess. Urbosa's words had not woken her or even caused her to stir. She must have been exhausted.

Her gaze followed the Hero's, landing on Zelda. "She was out on a survey all day today. Still as the sands now." She paused, then turned her attention back to Link. "So?... Spill it, boy. Have the two of you been getting along all right?"

Link shuffled uncomfortably from one foot the the other, lowering his gaze.

Urbosa chuckled softly. "It's okay. I know. Your silence speaks volumes. She gets frustrated every time she looks up and sees you carrying that sword on your back. It makes her feel like a failure when it comes to her own destiny."

Link's eyebrows pulled together.

"Don't worry," she said quickly, then settled her sympathetic eyes on Zelda. "It's not like you carry blame for any of this. It's unfortunate. She's put in more than enough time. Ever since she was a young girl, she's gone through rigorous daily routines to show her dedication. She once passed out in the freezing waters trying to access this healing power. And she has nothing to show for it..." She sighed sadly. "That's the motivation driving her research. I'd be doing the same thing."

Link nodded, beginning to understand.

Urbosa smiled fondly at Zelda and brushed her golden hair away from her forehead. "She really is quite... special. You be sure to protect her with your life. It's quite the honor."

"Yes," Link agreed quietly.

Urbosa's eyes scanned the desert once more. "The night brings a chill. It's probably time we take her in."

Link stepped forward, preparing to carry her inside in hopes that he wouldn't have to wake her. If she woke, she would surely be angry to see him here.

"Or..." She grinned mischievously with a hand to her chin. Then, with a crisp snap of her fingers, she summoned a bright flash of lightening accompanied by an explosion of thunder. Both the earth and Vah Naboris shook beneath them.

Link steadied himself while Zelda jumped awake with a gasp and round, blue eyes. Then fell to her hands and knees away from Urbosa, trying to catch her breath.

"Urbosa! What was that? Did you feel that?" She asked breathlessly. Then she turned her head slowly to see Link standing behind her. "Wait, what- how did you- what are you doing here?!"

"Uh, hi," Link mumbled, taking a cautious step backward and glaring at Urbosa while she threw her head back, her long auburn hair pooling onto the floor, and bellowed with laughter.

Zelda looked at her accusingly. "Wh-what's so funny?"