PATHS

"I doubt this will let up anytime soon," Zelda mumbled to herself as she studied the dark clouds above.

Although there was no lightning, the rain had delayed their journey. Zelda sat beneath the lip of a short rock cliff, but the great tree above shielded her from the worst of the rain. She wrapped her arms around her knees and watched Link quietly as he swung his sword several feel away. It sliced through the air with a sound that she could hear even over the downpour. Tiny droplets of rain flew from the blade's edge. He moved with a smooth confidence that she couldn't help but admire.

"Your path seems to mirror your father's," she said to him. Link turned his head to her, water dripping from his hair. She wished he'd come and sit with her so that she could feel his warmth beside her. "You've dedicated yourself to becoming a knight as well."

Link turned and swung his sword in a sequence of smooth slices, then gave a shrug. "Not such a bad path to follow."

"Your commitment to the training necessary to fulfill your goal is really quite admirable. I see now why you would be the chosen one."

He lowered his sword and turned to her, hearing a melancholy tone in her voice. She has that soft smile on her lips, but her eyes were sad. Distant.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked gently, eyebrows furrowed.

She lowered her head, blinking heavily. "What if... one day... you realized that you just weren't meant to be a fighter? Yet the only thing people ever said was that you were born into a family of the royal gaurd and so no matter what you thought, you had to become a knight. If that was the only thing you were ever told... I wonder then, would you have chosen a different path?"

"There were times I questioned if becoming a knight was truly what was meant for me. I wasn't sure that I was on the right track... but then" -he raised his sword slightly- "the Mastersword chose me and I knew I had made the right decision." He sheathed his weapon and sat beside her, holding her gaze. "Sometimes you do not choose the path, but the path chooses you. I can see how passionate you are about your research and how meticulously you work toward your goal. But I can also see how encumbered with worry you are. You don't have to carry this burden on your own, Zelda."