Chapter 21

I'm still in Toby's embrace, I don't want to see Marcus, go back to reality, but yet at the same time I do. So I keep Toby close to me, taking in the scent of sweat and metal. I grew close to it. It's not a sweaty B.O. smell, but a good smell, especially when the two combine. I pull out of the hug, and look him in the eye. "Back to reality." I say, sighing.

The cops come out with someone in handcuffs, Marcus. "He will be arrested for child abuse, unless you are over the age of 18, which changes the whole thing." he says.

"I am 18." Tobias says.

"Well then he will be charged with physically abusive contact. Has he done this before?"

"Yes. He has been beating me, physically and emotionally, since I was about six or seven." 

"Well, then he will be charged with child abuse also. I believe you, but we do need to make sure, so do you have any physical evidence?"

He looks at me, I nod. "Yes, on my back."

"How about you meet me at the hospital? You look pretty beat up."

"Okay. Is it all right if I bring Tris along?" he says, gesturing towards me.

"What is her relationship with you?"

"She's my girlfriend, and she knew about the abuse when we where little kids, when it started. We've known each other for a really long time."

"Well, usually under these circumstances, only family, but I will let her come. I can see you care about her, a lot."

"Thank you sir." we both say.

"Call me Amar."

"Okay," Toby says, laughing.

"Would you like an escort. Marcus will be in George's car." pointing to a young looking man.

"Sure." he says.

We walk over to his shiny black car. It is my first time riding in one, so I'm kind of actually exited, because I'm not in trouble. 

 When we arrive after our, cool, but silent ride, Amar leaves us alone in the room Tobias is going to be in for the doctors check up. He said the doctor would come back in about twenty minutes. 

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" I ask.

"Me, ya I'm fine. I'm so sorry that I had to drag you into my problems. I didn't mean to. You don't deserve that Tris."

"Tobias, I'm the one who doesn't deserve you. I drag you into the worst things, and then you have to suffer, and watch the one you love be destroyed, and broken. Tobias, I have cancer, you thought I died, and I can't even imagine how much pain you felt. If that was you, I'd be broken, I wouldn't let myself live. I'd be devastated. And you were so strong. I can't thank you enough for my life with you, and my small infinity. But I know that I could die at any moment, so how ever long my infinity is, I can't express how grateful I am for it." and by this point, hot tears are finding their way to my cheeks. And I can see them welling up in his glassy eyes as well. He reaches up to touch my cheek, and wipes it away. 

"Tris, I love you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself of simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, the sun will swallow the Earth I know we'll ever know, and I am in love with you." and he kisses me. I don't forget the fact that we are in the hospital room, so I pull my face away. 

"You did it again." I say. He laughs lightly, a small amount of air leaving his mouth. He looks so perfect. I decide to go sit on his lap and snuggle into him. I take in that scent. I close my eyes for awhile.