Chapter 18- The Reason

Your POV

When I woke up, I smelled something really good. I look around and realized this wasn't my house. Then I remembered what happened yesterday. Mark wasn't acting normal. Well, I mean, the whole dominant situation wasn't normal either, but he just wasn't himself at all. I got out of bed and made my way to the kitchen. When I got there, I saw Mark cooking breakfast. I guess he had heard me get up because he turned around and smiled.

"Morning sleepy head. I thought I'd make breakfast for the two of us. You like bacon and eggs right?"

I was slightly taken aback by the major change in personality, but was glad to see him back to normal. I smile back at him.

"Yes, I love them."

I sat down at the dining table and Mark put a plate both in front of him and in front of me. He also set down two glasses of orange juice, one for me and one for him. We sat in silence, eating breakfast. After we were done, Mark grabbed the dishes and went to wash them. I followed him and grabbed the dishes, ready to wash them.

"I'll do the dishes (Y/N). You don't have to worry about it."

"I want to help you Mark. If we do it together, it'll get done faster."

He smiled. "Okay, I can't really say no to help."

So we did the dishes together in silence. Until I decided to break the silence.

"Hey Mark? I just wanted to know, what happened yesterday? You didn't really seem like yourself."

He paused.

"I.. uh.. I'm really sorry.. about yesterday. I really didn't mean for it to happen.."

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he slightly tensed up.

"It's.. it's okay Mark. I just wanted to know what happened. Are you okay? Did I do something wrong?"

He quickly turns to me and looks me in the eye.

"Noz no you did nothing wrong at all. It was all completely on me.."

He then looks at the ground.

"I shouldn't have asked you to work here.."

"Mark, please, tell me what's wrong."

He sighs and sits at the kitchen table. I follow and sit next to him.

"Okay.. I'll tell you."

He runs his hands through his hair as though he's nervous, then starts his story.

"When I first started YouTube, I had a great time. I'm not saying I don't now though. I actually have a better time now then I did then. Anyway, when I first started, I noticed something strange, but I kinda just ignored it. After a while, it started to become apparent in my videos, but I figured it would just go away. But then, things became worse..."

I looked into his eyes and I could see the pain and fear in his eyes while talking about it.

"Mark, you don't have to continue if you don't want to..."

"No, it's okay (Y/N). I think it's about time I tell you and get it off my chest. So, I wasn't really sure what this feeling was or what was happening, but I didn't know how to stop it. And the thing is, it wasn't constant. It only happened when I started to care about someone. The first time it happened was with my former girlfriend. We were at my house, just watching movies. I guess I started to make her feel slightly uncomfortable, so she told me to stop. I don't really remember what I was doing, but I yelled at her and told her I wasn't doing anything. Then, she got up and left, slamming the door behind her."

I didn't really know what to say. Sure, he may have yelled at her, but that doesn't seem that bad. Everyone yells sometimes.

"That doesn't really sound abnormal though. You just yelled. A lot of people do that."

"Yeah, but I yelled at her before that, apparently. They're all a blur though. The other time it happened was with  my best friend. We were hanging out together, with a couple other friends as well. Then all of the sudden, I hurt him. Not physically, but I made fun of him. I hurt him to the point where I...almost lost him..."

I saw tears form in his eyes and I grabbed his hand.

"After that happened, I couldn't take it anymore. I decided to try and put an end to what was happening. I thought I had, but after what happened to you... I realized I didn't succeed... And he lied..."

I didn't understand. I don't know who he is.

"He? Who are you talking about?"

He looks at me, and I see a greater fear in his eyes than before.

"Dark..."

"Wait, Dark is real?!"

"Yes, he's real. He wasn't just someone I made up. He likes to take over me, drive people away... Keep me alone... I just... I don't want that to happen with you... I don't... I don't want you to leave..."

At this point, tears have started to fall down his face. I stand up, and make him stand with me. Then, I give him a hug.

"I won't let that happen Mark. I won't let him drive me away. I won't leave you. We'll fight this demon together, okay? I promise."

He hugged me back and I could feel his tears on my shoulder. We held each other until he stopped crying. Then he whispered in my ear.

"Thank you (Y/N)..."

"You're welcome Mark."

We let go of each other and smiled. Then he rubbed the back of his neck.

"So, uh, what would you like to do now?"

"Hmm, want to play a game?"

"Sure, sounds fun."

"Okay, race you to your room!"

I took off and I heard him laugh behind me. Not long after, he starts running after me. I'm really glad I took this job.