Chapter 36- Rescued

At the break of dawn, the search began and Clova didn't even know where to start. Thousands of doubtful thoughts travelled through her head,

'What if he's dead? Or in agony and can't call for help? All alone and cold, or if he's trying to call for help and we can't hear him?'

She felt like tearing up the more she thought about it. The first place they searched was the Ape Village, no surprise to them it was already in foggy ruins the fire had destroyed everything. Clova stood at the entrance of what used to be her home, all her memories and friends gone. Knowing fully well, Caesar wasn't here they continued the search in the woods. 

An hour passed and they haven't made any progress, they also tried to be silent so they didn't run into any apes. Clova was almost on the edge of loosing hope, she already didn't know if her mother and Cornelius were safe, whether Blue Eyes survived the fight, or if her friends; Rocket, Maurice and Luca were okay. She scowled.

'What did Koba hope to gain from this?', she thought angrily. Malcolm was in front followed by the Ellie, Alexander and Clova.

"I think I see something, it's down here.", he said. As he continued walking, Ellie and Alex froze, they were astonished at what caught their eyes.

"Dad!", Alexander called. Clova gently shoved passed them and her heart pounded. 

"Father!"

She rushed down beside him and looked into eyes. They were lifeless, the usual emerald shine he had in his eyes faded into a dull green. There was no sign of movement, he just laid there completely still and helpless. Clova was tearing up and her face turned red, she looked at the deep gash just by his upper shoulder, caked with brown blood. As the tears began to flow down her face, she looked back into her father's eyes.

Ellie took Clova's shoulders and gestured to his eyes. "Look.", she said shockingly.

Slowly, very very slowly, Clova saw Caesar's pupils dilate to her, Ellie and Alexander and he just stared. That was all Clova needed, she was relieved he was still alive and how he survived the gunshot wound, plus the fall and the entire night alone in the woods.

"Oh my God! Malcolm!", Ellie called. Seconds later, Malcolm arrived and was also shocked at Caesar's state and reacted.

                 _____________________________________________________________

After struggling for a half hour, they all managed to make it back to the campsite and gently placed Caesar inside the truck. He managed to regain some of his strength as he was able to move slightly.

"Father, father are you okay?", Clova asked worriedly, so many tones were heard in her voice as it cracked slightly. Caesar struggled to breathe. 

"Where's your mother, brother?", he asked, his voice was gruff and weak. Clova started to tear up again.

"Daddy...I- I don't know.", she weeped. He raised his sore arm up to Clova's cheek to wipe her tears. 

Ellie shuffled through her first aid kit, she didn't have much and brought out a thick cloth. She leaned over passed Clova and pressed it firmly against his chest. Caesar grunted in pain at the pressure and Ellie apologised.

"It will help stop the bleeding.", she said. She turned around to Clova. "Clova, can you hold this? I need to to keep the pressure.", Clova nodded and took Ellie's place.

Alexander and Malcolm walked over to Ellie. "Is he going to make it?", he asked quietly not wanting Clova to hear. 

"I just went through my medical kit and we don't have anything, he needs surgery." Malcolm rubbed his temple.

"I just don't understand this, I mean where did Carver get the gun?", he said. "Why would he do this?"

"Ape.", everyone turned to Caesar. Clova looked at him.

"Father?"

Caesar took a deep, shallow breath. "Ape. Did...this.", he repeated.

Clova swallowed a lump in her throat. "Which ape?"

"Koba."