i, one

WELCOME TO THE GLADE

With a soft thump the shovel sunk it's blade into the ground. The seventeen year old knew exactly what day it was and despised it. Three years she had found herself in the Glade and by each month that passed it brought a new terrified boy up the shaft, a place she was facing the first boy after her arrival too, a boy named Alby.

The sickening feeling of finding yourself waking in the abrupt reality of the world without any memories of who you used to be, where you had come from and how life had been. She didn't know the darkness of the box like the other boys, something she was rather relieved about. However she remembered the water, the sensation of herself drowning in the mids of an endless ocean of water. That were the vivid memories that reminded her of the past world she could put recognition to, but not herself, perhaps it wasn't a box she had awoken in but instead the midst of the grass fields she had now been working on.

With another thump the dirt broke lose. Though it wasn't until a voice had spoken, she had come back to her senses. "What has the earth ever done to harm you?"

Her head shot up to meet the blond's, feeling a droplet of sweat trickling down the side of her delicate face. She wasn't angry, especially not the boy standing across her, rather something, someone. "It's not the soil, Newt, them."

With a soft sigh Newt had stopped cutting away at the trunk, leaning upon the handle of the shovel as he took her expression in. The brown eyed boy looked somewhat conflicted almost hurt to see her spirits spiralling downwards by the month. He knew that it began to weigh on her and if it weren't today, then soon it would be the next incidence that would cause it, something he had gone through himself. "You know there's nothing we can do about it, Elis."

"That doesn't mean I didn't wish I could." Elizabeth had abruptly stopped moving the shovel, her brown eyes meeting the blond's. "We don't deserve to be imprisoned here, no one does. And every time another Greenie comes up..."