i, seven

THE MANIFESTED FEAR

With a soft thump the blade she held chopped into the wooden stump of a tree they had cut down for the builders, after Zart had asked her to help them rather than help in the Gardens for the day, a short glance given by the said boy as he himself stood hacked away at the roots with a shovel. She apologised to the Keeper, each knew well enough how dangerous it had been to start and chop away at it with three at the same time, let alone four if Thomas had not sat questioning their every move.

"But why would Alby go into the maze?"

She noticed how Newt's arm slumped to his side, blade dangling by his leg as he glanced at the boy that had sat on a former tree that laid dead on the ground, Chuck cutting away at a piece of wood he had gotten from the Builders and a small knife Frypan had lend him. "I mean, he's not, he's not a runner."

"Things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown." And she tried to ignore the conversation, the undying questions that kept flowing past his lips. She for a fact did not hate the boy, but it was tiring among the never ending train of thoughts she had running through her own head. Machete meeting the wood once more before the sound of Newt's did before pointing it down at the roots, wondering if the greenie was going to help.

"So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung-" Elizabeth had lowered the machete and almost stumbled backwards at the force she did it with, Zart mindlessly continuing his task and sending either four an occasional glance.

The words stung her, ironically, in the chest as she clenched her jaw at the boy's ill-fated misfortune. They all knew it was impossible for Ben to make it through the night in his condition, let alone being a Runner when being chased by a Griever for half a day. And her mind wandered off again, matching the never ending unease that her gut held, eyes staring at the vacant doors.