i, three

PEOPLE DIED TRYING

In the far distance of the pitch black space she had found herself in, her name was called. There was a shaking numbness, something she couldn't place where it had come from. The second time around came as the intense darkness had begun to life, vanishing into the reddish glow of the blood rushing through the lids of her eyes, the rays of the rising sun trying to find its way through. She blinked, squinting as her eyes tried adjusting to the rising light before finding the figure that had been hovering above them, thinking for only a second it had been one of the newer kids fearing to wake any of the Keepers and had taken the option to wake her instead. She crashed face first in the solid ground at her rapid movement of surprise, coming face to face with a concerned Winston.

The boy had stumbled back at the sudden motion, throwing up his hands in surrender as he rubbed the back of his neck whilst staring down at his friend laying sprawled out on the soil. "Are you alright?"

"Just promise me one thing," Elizabeth had huffed before pushing herself onto her knees, her eyes stopping as she laid them on the boy that stood before her. His eyes widened as he extended his hand for her to grab onto, which she did as he had pulled her up with the force of herself pushing her feet underneath her body. "Never do that again."

The dark haired boy had mumbled an apology to her as she had told him it was fine, after all, being woken by the boy seemed better than facing some of the other Keepers. Somehow most of the other boys had the urge to either poke her in the face for so long that it woke her, or they would matter of factly, throw her over their shoulder to be woken in the midst of the Glade drenched in water, well you can determine for yourself which ones did which. She hadn't been bother by the action, though being drenched with cold water first thing in the morning didn't appear to be the healthiest thing. Oftentimes she would be woken by Newt, someone who just rationally shook her shoulder until she began to mumble unfathomable words and how she was awake. But if it weren't for him, she'd either faced the consequences of being a deep sleeper or had awoken in the shimmer of the Glade for what seemed hours before the sun would make its first appearance by the pink streaks in the sky.