i, five

THE BANISHING

It had been Elizabeth herself that had pushed the wooden doors open with dread, and the room felt no different than she felt, air tense of grief and despair. Her eyes met those of the Keepers briefly, moving away from the sound of Minho closing the door behind her. Her eyes found Alby in the centre of the room, finding his to be most hardened yet too with most aching.

Ben's fate seemed to weigh more on the majority of the Gladers, the teen had been around a long time and had seen enough to know what the Changing was and his forerunner in the same position had ended up as. Most likely the reason above all had been just that very reason of a second friend vanishing into the Maze under their force even if one had been killed in order for the next to find himself exiled as prolonged outcome.

No one dared speak; occasional unsettling glances shared between the boys and girl but no more until all eyes turned to Alby as his voice began to fill the room steadily, "We are gathered here because of Ben,"

"To decide what his faith shall be." The leader of the Glade had stood with crossed arms before them and a deep frown between his brows as his eyes darted between each of them. And one by one he had passed the question, the question to keep him in the Pit until misery and rage would tear him and endanger themselves knowing the wooden structure wouldn't keep him in or to banish him by sundown.

The words to banish him passed her ears a multitude times until half way through all eyes fell on her, the girl who had stood hugging her body as the vote had been eating her away, now stood eye to eye with each of her friends, words leaving her as if she kept her breathe in waiting. "For all our sakes as for his, though I know we all loathe this decision, I chose to banish him."

None of them had mentioned anything other than the option to exile the boy from the Glade sensing they had no other nor safer choice but to opt leaving him for the Grievers to take, they could not afford another killing.